Changes/Update to efm_perl.pl question(s).

HarleyPig

Apr 19, 2012, 6:40:58 PM4/19/12
to vim-...@googlegroups.com
I submitted a pull request to update/change efm_perl.plhttp://goo.gl/oJfqs ).

Andy asked me what kind of justification I could make for it so he could pass that on to Bram.

This is how I responded, but I'd like other's input as well.  Am I out in left field here?  Any additions to what I've got would be nice.

=======

At its core, efm_perl.pl reformats any error/warning messages from 'perl -c %'. These changes don't improve on that, and I don't really see how that could change unless perl changes the way it reports errors and warnings.

My changes handle some annoyances I have had with the output and what is checked. These changes include ignoring the 'compilation aborted' message, and a way to easily add additional messages to be skipped (like the DB::single used once warning).

Also, if any of the following modules are installed; circular::require, indirect, warnings::method or warnings::unused, it is assumed you want to use them to check your code, and are included in the call to 'perl -c'.

Finally, when checking packages inheriting from a base package in the same directory structure, and the library hasn't been installed on the system, a spurious 'could not locate in @inc' error is reported. Though, the way I check for this is naive, I'm not really sure how to improve it.

I, obviously, think this would be a good change to vim. However, I realize others will have different ideas. Perhaps I need to submit this to vim-perl community and see what they have to say?

=======

Andy Lester

Apr 19, 2012, 7:03:19 PM4/19/12
to vim-...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 19, 2012, at 5:40 PM, HarleyPig wrote:

This is how I responded, but I'd like other's input as well.  Am I out in left field here?  Any additions to what I've got would be nice.

And if emf_perl.pl is something that's been woefully underutilized, what can we do to help it become more useful?

Personally, I've never do syntax checking inside vim, and maybe I should.  Maybe it were butt simple I would.  Maybe it IS butt simple but I don't know it because it's an underappreciated secret.

So how can we leverage this work to be even more awesome to vim's Perl users?

xoa

Paul

Apr 20, 2012, 7:54:40 AM4/20/12
to vim-...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, 19 April, 2012 at 23:40:58 BST, HarleyPig wrote:
>Also, if any of the following modules are installed; circular::require,
>indirect, warnings::method or warnings::unused, it is assumed you want to
>use them to check your code, and are included in the call to 'perl -c'.

I wouldn't assume that just because something's installed, it should always be used. That could get very annoying very quickly.

--

.

HarleyPig

Apr 20, 2012, 10:08:15 AM4/20/12
to vim-...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 20, 2012 5:54:40 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:

I wouldn't assume that just because something's installed, it should always be used. That could get very annoying very quickly.

Right.  This is what works for me at the moment.

What I'm not sure of, is how to handle what modules to use in terms of being setup in vim.