hide backslashes and quote marks

Brenton Chapin

Apr 21, 2023, 10:29:45 AM4/21/23
to vim-perl
Source code looks cleaner if we use fewer symbols.  We can replace symbols with more colors.  For instance, show the string literal in reverse video, and hide the quote marks.  Programmers will still know they were looking at a string literal.  Same idea with the backslash.  Hide the blackslash, and show the blackslashed character in a different color.

Here's the modifications I made to do this: perl.vim  Or, if you prefer, the differences: diff for perl.vim

What do you think?  Like the idea?

Andy Lester

Apr 21, 2023, 10:33:29 AM4/21/23
to vim-...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be confusing to hide symbols that are there in the code.

We already do show backslashed sequences like "\n" in a different color.

If you want to discuss this more, please start an issue on GitHub, so more people will see and participate. https://github.com/vim-perl/vim-perl/issues

Thanks,
Andy