Speakers From London

Sam Elamin

Dec 3, 2015, 1:50:18 PM12/3/15
to Vilnius JUG
Hi Guys

My name is Sam Elam and I was one of the speakers at BuildStuff in Vilnius. A friend mentioned this group as the place where I can get in touch with the local dev community in Vilnius

We really enjoyed Vilnius and it has an amazing developer community! I was wondering if there are any meetups around, or maybe you might know any Meetup Organizers?

Myself and another speaker are keen to come and speak about distributed systems and operating them in production

Please feel free to get in touch with me on  twitter

Regards
Sa

Sam Elamin

Dec 3, 2015, 2:27:47 PM12/3/15
to Vilnius JUG

Hi Guys Some of my talks. The other speakers should be posting their talks here soon.

1) Monoliths to Microservices

Your monolithic system is a pain to work with and Maintain. Moving to a distributed system will solve all your problems and you will be in heaven developer. Right? You will be working with a cool technologies and amazing concepts. Plus, it's Microservices! So what could possibly go wrong? In this talk Sam Elam will Relate HIS real life experience Migrating a single ASP.NET application with a monolithic database to a distributed system dealing with £ 100,000 Transactions every hour. Sam will cover the Challenge faced, the lessons learned, and offer some final takeaways. This "from the trench, the story will show you the Pitfalls to Avoid When doing Microservices.

2) Metrics Driven Development
Moving to a distributed system will solve all your problems and you will be in heaven developer. Right? Not exactly, having Hundreds of services doing Different things mean it's increasingly Difficult knowing exactly Where production issues are hiding.

In this talk Sam Elam will Relate HIS real life experience working on a distributed system dealing with £ 100,000 worth of Transactions every hour. Sam will cover monitoring and how to Develop your features based on how your custom use your platform and, most importantly, business metrics.

Sam will cover how to Implement metrics in your application and setting up the Dashboard Gaining visibility into what is happening in your production system right now. ALSO we'll go through some helpful techniques to help you convince your domain experts That Gaining this insight is invaluable to keeping your competitive advantage.

As an extra treat come and see how JUSTEAT time travels in production, using Open Source Software That Can be set up in a matter of days!

in 2015. 3 December. 18:50:18 UTC on Thursday, Sam Elam wrote:
Hi Guys

My name is Sam Elam, and I was one of the speakers at BuildStuff in Vilnius. A friend mentioned this group as The Place Where I can get in touch with the local dev community in Vilnius

We really enjoyed Vilnius and it has an amazing developer community! I was wondering if there are any meetups around, or maybe you might know any Meetup Organizers?

Myself and another speaker are keen to come and speak about distributed systems and operating Them in production

Matteo Figus

Dec 3, 2015, 2:43:57 PM12/3/15
to Vilnius JUG
Hello everybody, my name is Matteo Figus.

This is one of my talks:

Abstract:
"OpenComponents as micro-services in the front-end world"

Writing front-end code today is very challenging, when you have to be resilient and robust in a big corporation. Working on a website that involves dozens of engineers based on three different continents, I learned that the complexity lies not only within the code itself. Allowing people to develop new features and deploy the code multiple times a day, keeping it up and running, is hard to achieve: we want small teams to be independent and not to interfere with each other, in order to be quick and happy, but we also want to optimise cooperation when it is needed.

In the front-end world components are very small units of code, providing application functionality, that are all connected in order to become a website.

During this talk I’m going to speak about how we tried to approach components at OpenTable. After breaking our monolithic back end into smaller parts, we tried to break the front end into smaller parts too, called micro-sites. Then, following SOA principles, we tried to elevate components as services, in order for engineers to be able to create and consume them via clear and well-defined contracts and interfaces. This allowed us to put in place the infrastructure to optimise testing, and to have hundreds of live changes every day without conflict. The result is OpenComponents, a framework that we recently open-sourced.

About me:
@matteofigus

Vaidas Pilkauskas

Dec 4, 2015, 3:42:43 AM12/4/15
to vilni...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sam and Matteo for the abstracts!

I will get back to you in couple of days.

Cheers,
Vaidas

--
Gavote šį pranešimą, nes prenumeruojate „Google“ grupę „Vilnius JUG“.
Jei norite atšaukti šios grupės prenumeratą ir iš jos nebegauti el. laiškų, praneškite apie tai adresu vilnius-jug...@googlegroups.com.