Digital Library Builds

Shanti Bhardwa

Sep 14, 2023, 8:19:52 AM9/14/23
to Village Telco Development Community
I got introduced to the Digital Library Project by the Internet-In-A-Box Team who shared the news about Terry's sad passing away. He did start something very useful.

I have had a go at building a Library on Mango Router and it works great. I support couple  of charities that deploy these type of servers in Africa and one of them wants to deploy the Digital Library in several primary schools in Kenya.

Is there anybody who wants to carry on with the development?. I am keen to learn more about OpenWRT and see if Digital Library can be hosted on Thin Clients ( https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hware/hardware.shtml) and other routers which people discard like BT Hubs (https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub)

Will provide an update on a deployment when it has been completed.

Regards

Shanti

Morris Kabuye

Sep 14, 2023, 8:31:55 AM9/14/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
I would love to learn more on how you are deploying the digital library. I want to deploy one in a remote school here in Uganda and then see how it works and can scale that to many other schools. The need for it is big!

Morris

Shanti Bhardwa

Sep 14, 2023, 9:15:18 AM9/14/23
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi Morris,

The deployment model is quite simple. Digital Library is a simple web server, with access provided over WI-FI. The server is a low powered WI-FI
Hotspot. The digital library content is on an external USB drive. So if you have a device like smart phone or tablet with a browser like Firefox, then you simply connect to the WI-FI hotspot and type the home page address.

In my build, the WI-FI name is Digital_Library and the home page address is 10.10.10.1. I have created a number of RACHEL type modules and and index.html file which is on the USB pen drive.

In Kenya, the Government has provided many Primary schools with Windows Tablets. So the Digital Library can be used locally using these Tablets without the need for any Internet Connection. Digital Library is a perfect fit in this scenario. The Mango router is very low powered, so it is possible to run it for several hours from a Power Bank used for charging phones. Ideal portable server  which you can take anywhere.

I have experience of building RACHEL type Modules and deploying Internet-In-A-Box Servers. So it was simple for me to  build a Digital Library server using the documentations Terry had created.

You can also create a wired cluster of workstations. On the LAN side, add an Ethernet Switch and connect all the  work stations to the Switch.
From a bowser on the workstation, simply type 10.10.10.1 to get the home page.

In terms of development, I am learning more about OpenWRT with the objective of porting Digital Library on  other type of hardware which is cheap and can be repurposed like the Thin Clients.

Can send you more details if you share the type of content you want to deploy.

Regards
Shanti

Morris Kabuye

Sep 14, 2023, 9:22:14 AM9/14/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Shanti - Terry had shipped 2 Rachels from Australia and I have them, been working on content and then deploy. Am thankful for the knowledge you have and please feel free to share.

I just want to deploy education content via the web browser.

Morris

Shanti Bhardwa

Sep 14, 2023, 9:31:53 AM9/14/23
to Village Telco Development Community
Ok, if you prefer, contact me on WhatsApp on +44 746 483 1389. I am based in UK. I can share what I know and help as much as I can.  This will be quicker way to communicate

Morris Kabuye

Sep 14, 2023, 10:04:08 AM9/14/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Thank you!! I will connect!

Regards,

Morris Kabuye

+256-77-462-1514 | +256-75-862-1514

“For as long as I shall live, I will testify to love, I will be witness in the silence when words are not enough...”

Shanti Bhardwa

Sep 16, 2023, 5:46:03 AM9/16/23
to Village Telco Development Community
Morris,
looking at the pictures you sent me, it seems you have RACHEL build on one of the Mesh nodes. I cant access this file
Looks like a build from 2019 and may be not updated.

has anybody got any idea where I can get hold of a device?

This link does not work either -  Mesh Potatoes online at http://store.villagetelco.com.

i can understand if the Project is now "frozen" and the website is not maintained.

Song, Stephen

Sep 18, 2023, 12:51:27 PM9/18/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shanti,

Apologies.  You should be able to download https://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/stable/vtrachel/VT-DigitaLibrary-20190507.zip  During a server upgrade, the default to prevent .zip downloads was re-enabled by accident.

The Village Telco store is no longer up as we have not been manufacturing for some years.  Outside of hardware, I am happy to help you find any resources on the website you are trying to find.

As far as hardware goes, have you looked at GLNet?  https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

Cheers... Steve

Danny Kafui Gblonya

Sep 18, 2023, 4:27:46 PM9/18/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Can I get any assistance on how to build my own 5ghz radio both integrated and connectorised for rural internet connectivity in my country Ghana.
Thanks

Song, Stephen

Sep 18, 2023, 4:36:31 PM9/18/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,

When you say "build your own" 5GHz radio, what are your priorities?  Flexibility of design? e.g. number of radios, etc?  Open Source software and/or hardware?  Local manufacturing?

Cheers... Steve

Danny Kafui Gblonya

Sep 18, 2023, 4:45:01 PM9/18/23
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Steve,
So I want an access point and a cpe within the entire 5ghz range.
I use mikrotik but they are now quite expensive in my country Ghana.
A connectorised AP that can push up to 27dbm power with cpe that can also push up to 25dbm power will be very good for me.
Are there any antenna design or module to help fight heavy interference within an area.
I will really appreciate if anyone can come onboard to help.

Regards

Danny

Song, Stephen

Sep 19, 2023, 8:04:52 AM9/19/23