Payload

WSiaB

Oct 1, 2012, 7:15:19 PM10/1/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
I have done some research and it turns out that expanding foam is going to be too dense (heavy) for what we want.  So I have grabbed one of the smallest coolers we use here for it instead.  We will still want to build a stabilizer wing off the back.  Any thoughts?
2012-10-01 16.10.15.jpg
2012-10-01 16.10.44.jpg

rspark27

Oct 3, 2012, 5:36:15 PM10/3/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
It would be a good idea if we made a wing off the back similar to what is used on a helicopter to avoid the box from spinning when it comes in contact with wind. However, I don't think we will be able to have a tail rotor as this will conflict with the weight and battery power.  What if we attached a pinwheel to the back and see of the wind spinning the payload could spin the pinwheel as well, possibly help counteract the torque of the box?  Just an idea.

WSiaB

Oct 22, 2012, 5:08:46 PM10/22/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
So I updated the http://www.arguingant.com/vsa/ web site with new photos, etc for the main payload.

How goes everyones experiments?  Will you be ready for this Saturday?  I need to meet up with Vanessa sometime this week to finalize the stabilizer (and install it) and I still need everyone's power requirements for their experiments.

Kevin Knifsend

Oct 23, 2012, 6:50:05 PM10/23/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
I think I've figured out how to program the radiation collection, and writing aspects of the program. Considering I don't actually have the data writer shield, nor the radiation shield I can't really test the program, but I'll try to get some time this week to start writing the code.

 The thing I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out is the power requirement. I've looked on both websites you sent me, and don't see anything about the power they draw, nor the weight of the components. They do mention that with the backlight it draws a current of 21 mA, if that helps..

RoSp

Oct 24, 2012, 8:52:26 PM10/24/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com

RoSp

Oct 24, 2012, 8:55:45 PM10/24/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
Here is also the para-chord you were looking for (it was the most reasonably priced one i could find,.) http://www.amazon.com/Black-Strand-Nylon-Braided-Parachute/dp/B0036Q50FK/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351126448&sr=1-3&keywords=paracord

WSiaB

Oct 31, 2012, 4:41:30 PM10/31/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
Already have that very reflector.

WSiaB

Oct 31, 2012, 4:41:53 PM10/31/12
to viking-sp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link - I have ordered (and received already) that cord.