modest maps: free flash map library

Aaron Swartz

Jan 17, 2008, 6:05:48 PM1/17/08
to view.theinfo
Now we just need one of these that uses JavaScript! - ASw

http://modestmaps.com/

Modest Maps is a BSD-licensed display and interaction library for
tile-based maps in Adobe Flash 7+, written in ActionScript 2.0.

Our intent is to provide a minimal, extensible, customizable, and free
display library for discriminating designers and developers who want
to use interactive maps in their own projects. Modest Maps provides a
core set of features in a tight, clean package, with plenty of hooks
for additional functionality.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

webchick

Jan 17, 2008, 9:56:59 PM1/17/08
to view.theinfo
I am familiar with Stamen, but I did not know they offered an open
source package. Thanks for the link. I noticed some python libraries
in the install - so it is not all AS2.

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/stamen_releases.html

Tom Carden

Jan 18, 2008, 2:16:58 PM1/18/08
to view.theinfo
On Jan 17, 3:05 pm, "Aaron Swartz" <m...@aaronsw.com> wrote:
> Now we just need one of these that uses JavaScript! - ASw
>
> http://modestmaps.com/

Then you want OpenLayers (complete js map tile browser), or possibly
Mapstraction (wraps a whole bunch of js APIs including Google Maps,
OpenLayers/OpenStreetMap, poly9 FreeEarth etc so you don't have to
choose which tiles/features you want ahead of time).

http://openlayers.org/
http://mapstraction.com/

> http://modestmaps.com/
>
> Modest Maps is a BSD-licensed display and interaction library for
> tile-based maps in Adobe Flash 7+, written in ActionScript 2.0.
>
> Our intent is to provide a minimal, extensible, customizable, and free
> display library for discriminating designers and developers who want
> to use interactive maps in their own projects. Modest Maps provides a
> core set of features in a tight, clean package, with plenty of hooks
> for additional functionality.

Thanks for the plug! (I work at Stamen and helped port the
Actionscript 2 version of Modest Maps to Actionscript 3, which is also
available in the subversion repository).

As well as www.modestmaps.com, we're doing our best to support Modest
Maps over here: http://getsatisfaction.com/modestmaps

In particular, that's where to look if you're a Flex person - the
community support for that part is better than the Stamen support (but
feel free to pick our brains about AS3, AS2 and Python for sure).

Tom.