Vietnam province declares state of emergency over drought.

Carl Robinson

Apr 8, 2024, 5:21:39 AMApr 8
to Vietnam Old Hacks
Interesting story from my Vietnamese homeland in what was war-time Go Cong Province, and where KD is from, at the mouth of the northern branch of the Mekong River known as Song Tien.  The island of Tan Phu Dong was mostly VC-controlled but the entire eastern end of the province, now part of Tien Giang Province (My Tho) always suffered from salt water intrusion in the Dry Season.  But this year has been particularly dry and the government has now declared a state of emergency.  (I actually visited the island at the mouth of the Mekong only last year.)  Contributing additional factors: clearing of mangroves, less water down the river from Chinese and other dams and rising sea levels.

Carl