Ha Long Bay Vietnam: 'This travel spot has been on my bucket list for years but it was disappointing' - 9Travel

Carl Robinson

Apr 2, 2024, 6:35:49 AMApr 2
to Vietnam Old Hacks
Gotta' laugh.  I coulda' told her that but nothing like just letting people experience the disappointment personally. Ha Long Bay has always had a junky side and now it's worse than ever.

https://travel.nine.com.au/latest/ha-long-bay-vietnam-disappointing-review/70ae25fb-1e04-4b33-9fc8-299a6799da14

Carl

David Brown

Apr 2, 2024, 11:50:38 AMApr 2
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
Hatchet job!  A far better story would have examined the tussle between real estate developers and folks in Quang Ninh who have long recognized the intrinsic value of what remains an unforgettable expanse of water and craggy islands.  Yes, it was cloudy: Ms Skelley visited Ha Long Bay in the middle of the rainy season. And yes, HLB is challenged by too many visitors, especially in the inshore areas frequented by the day boats that stir up silt and deliver tourists to overcrowded Sung Sot Cave.  And yes, coal boats still transit the bay en route to the remaining coal-fired power plants further south; in time they'll be supplanted by wind and solar farms.

If Ms Skelley had bought a berth on one of the many boats that go deep into the bay for one or two nights she'd have had a radically more memorable experience.  David Brown

Carl Robinson

Apr 2, 2024, 8:07:33 PMApr 2
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com

Helen Clark

Apr 2, 2024, 10:50:56 PMApr 2
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been to Ha Long in a very long tme but do recall it is 100% the kind of tourist destination where you get exactly what you pay for and a day trip is exhausting.

The part of the bay that is governed by Hai Phong and home to Monkey Island was actually much nicer and you can climb the karsts via rock climbing company based on Cat Ba Island.