The Huey & me.

Carl Robinson

May 12, 2024, 8:17:33 PMMay 12
to Vietnam Old Hacks
I'm sure we've each got our own personal memories of the ubiquitous Huey -- UH-1 helicopter -- from our Vietnam Days and mine go way back to when the chopper first arrived in-country in mid-1964, 60 years ago now.   That first flight down to Go Cong with USOM is on the cover of my The Bite of the Lotus, an intimate memoir of the Vietnam War (2020).

And in my retirement life south of Sydney, that love affair has been rekindled with the HARS Aviation Museum's former Royal Australian Navy (RAN) UH-1B on which I've gone up several times.  But nothing like this one on ANZAC Day (25 April), something I helped arrange as a volunteer at the Museum and my involvement with the Vietnam Veterans of the Shoalhaven Region further south and where we lived for a few years at the turn of the century (1998-2003).  I shot video from the Huey while my mates Tim May and Howard Mitchell shot video & photos respectively from the Caribou.  A true Sound Track of Vietnam for the marching veterans below.

Enjoy the ride.

Best regards,

Carl