Re: Digest for vietnam-old-hacks@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 1 topic

Lew Simons

Jul 27, 2024, 6:54:43 PM (yesterday) Jul 27
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com, Linda Abrams, Paul Adler
Many thanks to all who responded to my request for Indochine travel expertise on behalf of my cousins. I'm passing along your messages to them so that they can follow up directly as they see fit.

lew

On Sat, Jul 27, 2024 at 5:12 PM <vietnam-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Lew Simons <simply...@gmail.com>: Jul 26 05:26PM -0400

Carl and other fellow OH's:

My cousin and his wife are planning a 2-3-week Indochina sojourn this
autumn and are asking for guidance. Carol and I were in Vietnam last
November, but it was a cruise/speaking gig and we didn't see much. I
haven't been in Cambodia or Laos for donkey's years and am very out of
touch. I'd greatly appreciate help from those of you who are more current.
Following is part of my cousin's request:

I have books and other information on these areas but I can’t seem to sort
out the logistics or the nuances of each place we’d like to visit. Of
course, we’d like to understand the unique history and culture of the
places we visit and see the most compelling sites with knowledgeable guides
but we’d also like to explore places that are off the beaten path and
therefore less touristy. We love good food and restaurants, beautiful
beaches/mountains/water, and interesting art and architecture. We do not
want to make this trip too hectic where we don’t get the feel for each
place because we’re too busy running to the next. Any input you can share
would be super-helpful.

Thanks and cheers,

Lew

Catherine Karnow <catheri...@yahoo.com>: Jul 26 02:43PM -0700

Lew,

I have an excellent list where to visit, eat, shop and stay in Hanoi, Hue and Hoi An, if you want to send me your personal email address.

Let me know of you want me to include Siem Reap.

Thanks,

Catherine

Based in San Francisco & Provence

Tel 415.383.3328

Mobile 415.305.8181

www.catherinekarnow.com

• Available for Assignments

• San Francisco & International Photo Workshops

• Photo Consultations

• Speaking Presentations

• Two brand new books on the beauty of Provence!

Represented by:

Art Vietnam Gallery Hanoi

www.artvietnamgallery.com

National Geographic: The Photo Society

www.thephotosociety.org/member/catherine-karnow

On Jul 26, 2024, at 2:26 PM, Lew Simons <simply...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 5:10 PM <vietnam-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

vietnam-...@googlegroups.com Google Groups Google Groups Logo

Topic digest

View all topics

Exclusive: US, Vietnam discuss supplying Hanoi with C-130 military transport planes, sources say | Reuters - 1 Update

Exclusive: US, Vietnam discuss supplying Hanoi with C-130 military transport planes, sources say | Reuters

Carl Robinson <robinso...@gmail.com>: Jul 26 02:28PM +1000

Interesting, if true. The North certainly inherited some in '75 from VNAF

and I Recall used to airlift troops up north during China's invasion in

'79. Pricier than Russian equivalent and a bit surprising US would

transfer the aircraft's latest version and technology to Vietnam.

Carl

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-vietnam-discuss-supplying-hanoi-with-c-130-military-transport-planes-sources-2024-07-25/

Back to top

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vietnam-old-hacks/CAADZQH8RurfHysbAqLt4ADfd%3DeLO5aCa1TKwAN00e5%2Bx_H0AoA%40mail.gmail.com.
paul...@yahoo.com: Jul 26 05:32PM -0500

Don't think they'll be getting any of these gems.

pjh

The Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules is a four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft. The C-130J is a comprehensive update of the Lockheed C-130 Hercules, with new engines, flight deck, and other systems.

C-130J Super Hercules

A US Air Force C-130J

Role Military transport, aerial refuellingaircraft

National origin United States

Manufacturer Lockheed Martin

First flight 5 April 1996

Introduction 1999

Status In service

Primary users United States Air Force

United States Marine Corps

See Operatorssection for others

Produced 1996–present

Number built 500 as of March 2022 [1]

Developed from Lockheed C-130 Hercules

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 26, 2024, at 16:44, 'Catherine Karnow' via Vietnam Old Hacks <vietnam-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vietnam-old-hacks/10916F0B-7616-4EF9-87F7-4FD445100286%40yahoo.com.
Jack van Ommen <vanomm...@gmail.com>: Jul 27 10:11AM +0200

JACK VAN OMMEN
S/V "FLEETWOOD"
Home Port: Gig Harbor, Wa. Call Sign : WDI-8975
"Around the World at 80 Years"
Follow the adventure with regular blog posts at www.cometosea.us
phone Netherlands 31-649676419

Dear Lew,

Your cousin may find some useful information by reading through my blogs of
spending 3 months traveling through Indo-China in 2010. I realize much has
changed since, but the hotels, modes of transport and sights remain. I
served in Vietnam from late 1961 until early 1963. And I also visited
Vietnam in 2006. My story starts on January 2nd 2010 :
https://cometosea.us/?p=837 For a 2 to 3 week trip I would recommend a day
or overnight local tour from Saigon to My Tho on the Mekong. Bus or speed
boat to Phnom Penh, Angkor Wat, Luang Prabang (skip time in Vientiane),
overnight train trip from Hanoi to Sapa, bus trip to Ninh Binh, probably
skip Ha Long Bay according to Carl's reports, and Hoi Anh another overdone
spot. Hue is a must. For the beach, I'd consider Nhatrang. Skip Dalat.

Regards,

Jack van Ommen

Denis Gray <denis...@gmail.com>: Jul 27 05:01PM +0700

Hi Lew,

Hope all goes better these days on the political scene in Washington.

Love to help out but I also have not been to Laos and Cambodia for a
long time although I do plan trips to see old friends this year.

Not to be too negative but there are not many off-the-beaten,
untouristed places left in these countries and some, like Angkor and Luang
Prabang, are heaving with tourists although of course still beautiful and
your cousin should put them on their itinerary. On the positive side, both
countries now have some excellent restaurants, better than in our day. One
or two restaurants in Siem Reap are often cited as among the best in Asia.

I think if your cousin wants to avoid tourists, then a trek of several
days into some remote corner of these countries is the way to go. AS far
as beaches, the Cambodian coast still has some lovely relatively
tourist-free ones. If they head that way from Phnom Penh, an overnight in
Kampot would be good. It is one of the very few places in Cambodia that
has done a very good job in preserving its colonial-Sino heritage. Phnom
Penh too has some excellent food but the old atmosphere has been all but
killed off by a Chinese-fueled boom in highrises, shopping malls, etc. One
recent development is a high-end residential enclave that tries to
reproduce Paris, complete with an Arc of Triumph and expensive boutiques.
Pol Pot must be turning in his grave.

I think we were lucky to have seen these places in our day.

All best!

Denis

John.Gottberg Anderson <johngo...@gmail.com>: Jul 27 07:22PM +0700

Lew,

Here's a story I recently published with David DeVoss' East-West News
Service. There may be something helpful in here.

Cambodia’s Capital, Phnom Penh, Embraces A New Generation - Travel &
Cultural Analysis From Around the World | East-West News Service
(eastwestnewsservice.com)
<https://www.eastwestnewsservice.com/phnom-penh-cambodias-progressive-capital-embraces-a-new-generation/#google_vignette>

Best,

John

--
John Gottberg Anderson
+84 0704 571175

Dear Lew et al., Replying to a similar query last year, I wrote:

*. . . Almost all of the Vietnam tours offered to Westerners are clones of
the same model and itinerary. For these, the tour sponsors and the bios of
the leaders are your best clue to quality. *

*. . . I urge you to study the trips offered by Handspan Travel Indochina.
Handspan is particularly good on the northern half of Vietnam. You could
consider the 21 day Grand Vietnam Discovery Tour, or take a more a la carte
approach, stitching together about five days in Hanoi & the Red River
Delta, a foray into the spectacular mountains north of Hanoi (e.g., An Epic
Expedition to Ha Giang and Ba Be), two nights on Ha Long Bay, and then
several days each in and around Saigon (check into our favorite Spring
Hotel on duong Le Thanh Ton in district 1 and do your own exploring or
maybe join Handspan's walking tours) and in the Mekong Delta (perhaps
Handspan's 2 day 'Mekong Exploration -- a Classic Renewed). Re Ha Long
Bay, you absolutely want to avoid a one day trip -- choose a one or two
night cruise so you will get deep into the nicest parts of the bay, perhaps
as far as Bai Tu Long.*

*See also my Aussie friend Mark Bowyer's fine Vietnam travel
website, www.rustycompass.com <http://www.rustycompass.com/>. Mark
(ma...@rustycompass.com <ma...@rustycompass.com>) spends about half the year
in Saigon; it would be great if you can connect with him there.*

*. . . the best times to travel are from Thanksgiving until the end of
January. You'll notice that I have not mentioned central Vietnam (CVN --
Hue/Danang/Hoi An). For this, there are two reasons. First, CVN is well
worth a stand-alone seven to ten day visit at some other time. Second,
when the weather's best in the north and south (December to March), it is
perversely the (torrentially) rainy season in the center.*

Your cousins can send me a note if they have more specific questions:
*nwo...@gmail.com
<nwo...@gmail.com>*. Regards, David Brown

John Burgess <johnb...@outlook.com>: Jul 27 05:50PM

And concerning a trip to Angkor, the best guide there to my mind is Saron Soeun. His email is saron...@gmail.com<mailto:saron...@gmail.com>. Very knowledgeable, good English, and an all-around good guy.

John

________________________________

See also my Aussie friend Mark Bowyer's fine Vietnam travel website, www.rustycompass.com<http://www.rustycompass.com/>. Mark (ma...@rustycompass.com<mailto:ma...@rustycompass.com>) spends about half the year in Saigon; it would be great if you can connect with him there.

Your cousins can send me a note if they have more specific questions: nwo...@gmail.com<mailto:nwo...@gmail.com>. Regards, David Brown

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Lew Simons <simply...@gmail.com<mailto:simply...@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 5:10 PM <vietnam-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:vietnam-...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
vietnam-...@googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/vietnam-old-hacks/topics> Google Groups<https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview> [Google Groups Logo] <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview>
Topic digest
View all topics<https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/vietnam-old-hacks/topics>

* Exclusive: US, Vietnam discuss supplying Hanoi with C-130 military transport planes, sources say | Reuters - 1 Update

Exclusive: US, Vietnam discuss supplying Hanoi with C-130 military transport planes, sources say | Reuters <http://groups.google.com/group/vietnam-old-hacks/t/378067d597ee5ae5?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
Carl Robinson <robinso...@gmail.com<mailto:robinso...@gmail.com>>: Jul 26 02:28PM +1000

Interesting, if true. The North certainly inherited some in '75 from VNAF
and I Recall used to airlift troops up north during China's invasion in
'79. Pricier than Russian equivalent and a bit surprising US would
transfer the aircraft's latest version and technology to Vietnam.

Carl

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-vietnam-discuss-supplying-hanoi-with-c-130-military-transport-planes-sources-2024-07-25/
Back to top
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page<https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/vietnam-old-hacks/join>.

Carl Robinson

Jul 27, 2024, 7:54:02 PM (yesterday) Jul 27
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
So, presume you got my separate message, Lew?