Memories of JUSPAO and the REX BOQ.

Carl Robinson

May 9, 2022, 10:57:07 PM5/9/22
to Vietnam Old Hacks
Hi everyone -- and a shout-out to anyone with any enduring war-time memories of spending time at JUSPAO offices and the adjacent Rex BOQ.

Pierre Sorgue, a Le Monde correspondent, is writing a feature story on the Rex Hotel and interested in hearing from any VOHers who spent time there, including the famous Five O'Clock Follies before they were moved to that building across the street from the Rex after Tet '68.   He is a former foreign correspondent and now feature writer and, with Continental & Caravelle done to death, looking for something different amongst renowned buildings of war-time Saigon, in this case "America's war-time propaganda factory,"  I say half in jest.

Personally, I spent very little time at JUSPAO -- just a quick drop-in to renew my MACV accreditation, PX & Commissary Card -- and never forget the Ration Card for cheap booze!   (Rather incongruous how helpful they were, eh?  Plus APO privileges too.)   I know folks like the late NY Daily News Joe Fried practically lived there, but how about others among you?   Did you use JUSPAO much?

I'm not sure, but I don't believe USIS and then JUSPAO boss Barry Zorthian was at the Rex full-time but would've had something there. Similarly MACV media folks.   JUSPAO had another office somewhere in Saigon for their other work, including provincial representatives, but can't say I ever got there, old USAIDer that I was.   (Earlier in its history up until 1963, that ground floor office was the USIS-run Abraham Lincoln Library.)

Pierre is also looking for information about the Rex BOQ upstairs.  Did any of your spend much time up on the roof for a cheap MPC booze & meal?  Any time in the swimming pool?   (Personally, no.)   I have told him that the Lonely Planet's claim the rooftop bar was a renowned hangout of journalists, generals and CIA agents is not correct.  Any memories out there?

Finally, for some reason, I can't recall what happened to the Rex after the Paris Cease-Fire agreement in early '73 -- even though AP's office was upstairs right across the square.  It must have continued as a residence for DAO folks who replaced MACV.  What happened to JUSPAO as we didn't have MACV press cards any more?  An interesting blank in my usual detailed memories of things.

So, any help you can provide Pierre much appreciated and please share your memories here (which he reads)  or reply directly to him at "pierre...@gmail.com".

Best regards,

Carl
Pierre

Jack van Ommen

May 10, 2022, 2:38:03 AM5/10/22
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
JACK VAN OMMEN
S/V "FLEETWOOD"
"Around the World at 80 Years"
Home Port: Gig Harbor, Wa.  Call Sign : WDI-8975
Follow the adventure with regular blog posts at www.cometosea.us
cell phone from  USA 001-649-676-419
In Nederland mobiel 0649 676 419

Dear Carl,

I was part of the first occupants of the Rex, in December 1961. The REX was not quite ready for guests. We had just arrived on the USNS "Core". The most detailed story was written by my CO Col. Emmet Knight:

FIRST IN VIETNAM: AN EXERCISE IN EXCESS OF 30 DAYS The U.S. Army 57th Transportation Helicopter Company (Light Helicopter) (CH-21) 1961 - 1962

I am not certain that the book is still available. I can mail Monsieur Sorge that chapter and my personal experiences which are also recorded in my book "SoloMan" including the delayed Thanksgiving Dinner on the rooftop with our field kitchen. And my visits to the Rex in 2006 and 2010. Ed van Kan was there when the "Core" arrived. I have one other survivor friend of the Rex period wit a good memory. Our landlord, Joseph Ly-Lap, of our apartment on Hai Ba Trung operated the Cinema in the REX complex. His wife lives in Nice.
I'm in the same time zone as "Le Monde" and have a trip coming up to Paris, et tus sais que je parle vachement bien francais.

Jack

May 10, 2022, 3:36:02 AM5/10/22
to Vietnam Old Hacks
Thank you, Jack, and best wishes to Ed Van Kan too.

Fantastic memories in what must've been earliest days of the Rex Hotel.    (Sounds like it only became a 'real hotel' after '75.)

Just to make sure he receives your comment, I have FW'd to Pierre Sorgue who is based in Lyon, France.   I note your phone number in Nederland is there.   Ed should also have some memories of the very earliest 'Five O'Clock Follies' with Barry Zorthian in ground floor zone.

Cheers,

Carl