Conviction of Vietnam minorities activists .....

David A. Andelman

Apr 1, 2024, 1:09:36 PMApr 1
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
Thought this release just now from State might be of some interest to the group!?

04/01/2024 11:59 AM EDT

HomeOffice of the SpokespersonPress Releases…On the Convictions of Vietnamese Ethnic Minority and Religious Freedom Advocates
hide

On the Convictions of Vietnamese Ethnic Minority and Religious Freedom Advocates

Press Statement

April 1, 2024

The United States is deeply concerned by ongoing convictions of Vietnamese ethnic minority and religious freedom advocates, including five convictions since January 2024.

We are particularly troubled by the recent 13-year sentence of Y Krec Bya, who has been a peaceful voice for freedom of religion or belief in Vietnam. We also continue to be concerned by the multi-year prison terms of Nay Y Blang, Danh Minh Quang, Thach Cuong, and To Hoang Chuong for their peaceful advocacy on behalf of human rights, including freedom of religion or belief, in Vietnam.

We call upon Vietnam to respect the rights of individuals to exercise freedoms of expression, association, and religion or belief. We reiterate our call on Vietnam to release all those unjustly detained.

More likely this coming weekend on Andelman Unleashed !
in good health,
d.

David A. Andelman
  Executive Director / The RedLines Project
Chevalier, Légion d’Honneur
President Emeritus  The Silurians Press Club
                                 Overseas Press Club of America
570-595-8628
917-325-2822
+33-(0)-603376734 (Paris mobile)

Carl Robinson

Apr 1, 2024, 9:09:32 PMApr 1
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this, David.   The ethnic minority issue in southern Vietnam's Central Highlands continues to be  very fraught issue and hardly simple.  So one must be cautious -- and all the more when the US gets involved as they're always so quick to do in the name of 'religious freedom.'  Remember that little rebellion up in Dak Lac (Banmethuot Province) last June/July and wonder who just might have been behind it?   (Plenty of Diaspora Montagnards out there acting on their own or with a bit of help.)  Nine people were killed and 100 gone to trial and Vietnamese blamed a US-based organisation.  That was serious stuff and you can't blame the Vietnamese for keeping a close eye on things.   The Montagnards are also the most heavily Protestant, as opposed to Catholic, Christians in Vietnam and heavily evangelical and not under control as other religious grous are.   A lot of strings at play and actually quite complex.

Sorry, but at this stage of my life and what's happening around the world, especially in the US, I can't really get all that worked up about another US State Department condemnation.

Meanwhile, make chips for us, they say, and buy our weapons!

Best,

Carl

David A. Andelman

Jack van Ommen

Apr 2, 2024, 4:16:15 AMApr 2
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
like Jack van Ommen reacted to your message:

Apr 2, 2024, 4:32:07 AMApr 2
to vietnam-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

   I don't know enough about the situation in the Central Highlands to comment but I totally agree with you about not getting too worked up by U.S. government condemnations, especially when it lectures foreigners about the rule of law and how nobody is above it in a democracy given the ongoing farce with Trump and the courts.

   Keep the faith brother, if that is possible these days. Denis