vdh suddenly stopped working - downloads don't download

AiH

Jun 27, 2022, 2:10:04 AM6/27/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
VDH suddenly stopped working today.
The 3 balls still go color when a page has videos, but when I click to download and then check the progress I see NONE - even after hours not even a byte.
I've been using VDH for years and have made multiple donations over those years.
I have never bought a license because my understanding is that a license is only needed for the CONVERSION of WEBM. Is this correct?

Also: am I correct that no license is needed to use just VDH?
I also checked the VDH Settings which showed no locked licenses.

I relaunched Firefox several times and rebooted several times.
I also downloaded versions for Chrome and Edge.
VDH would not work with those either!
I also checked the VDH Settings which showed no locked licenses.

I wish these things were explained more clearly, but I never had to read so deeply before since VDH always just worked for me - until today.
Thanks for any help...

Wild Willy

Jun 27, 2022, 3:32:40 AM6/27/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Well, I'm going to point you in the direction of more reading. Click this:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/BzPLK2YyL-s

You'll probably want to bookmark that. It contains a number of references to other
threads which I'm going to have you search for via string searches within that thread.
Aside from the specific topics I'll mention below, you might do well to read through the
entire thread to get a broader idea of what topics are often discussed around here. You
might even find a few you'll click that we aren't even discussing here.

The very first link in there is to a complete tutorial on how to use VDH. You say you've
been using VDH for years so I'm going to surmise that you would probably need such a
tutorial less than most people. But you never know. There may be a thing or two that
might be new for you in there. You can't know unless you read it.

The next reference I'll recommend to you is found by searching for the string "problem
report" in there. That will surface 2 links for you to click. Read those, learn what it
takes to post a proper problem report, & follow the advice you read. What you have
described above is rather vague & doesn't give enough for someone else to go on to
investigate your problems. I imagine a sequence of screenshots will be most helpful to
support your verbal description of your setup & of what you are trying to do.

The next reference to look for is found by searching on "philosophy" in there. You are
mistaken about the purpose of the VDH license. I think your misconception is based on
rather outdated ideas of how VDH used to be. These ideas are doubtless reinforced by the
outdated content on the VDH web site, something we've been asking be updated. But a few
years ago, Mozilla drastically revamped the architecture of how extensions (used to be
called plug-ins) interact with Firefox. This necessitated an equally drastic rewrite of
VDH. As a side-effect, the VDH license now means something much different than what it
used to. You can read all about that in this reference I'm pointing you to.

So after you've done your reading, do come back with a proper problem report & we can
discuss the problems you are having, and any other questions that might come to you
during your reading.

Wild Willy

Jun 27, 2022, 3:46:55 AM6/27/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I just want to add something I often mention. Do not use the Reply to author button.
That is a button you will use extremely rarely. To continue a discussion in a thread,
you click the Reply all button. That will add your post to this thread. So remember: