I'm always prompted to install the Companion App, even though I did

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2018, 8:15:16 AM3/18/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

I'm trying to download from the zdf.de website, such as https://www.zdf.de/comedy/heute-show/heute-show-vom-16-maerz-2018-100.html, but every time I get this error message opening up in a new tab. I have already installed the companion app, "net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3.pkg". What's missing?

OS: Mac OS 10.11.6

Firefox: 59.0.1

mig

Mar 18, 2018, 8:45:47 AM3/18/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Open the add-on settings, it shows you the status of the companion app. What does it say ?

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2018, 3:02:53 PM3/19/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Thanks.

This is what appears in the add-on settings

But when I select "Preferences" there this is what I see when I expand the branches

I know it says "Companion App not installed", but when I select "Install Companion App" I get to see the download page again. When I download the Mac app another copy of "net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3.pkg" is downloaded. I quit Firefox, install it and restart Firefox, but nothing changes, even though the installation says it's complete and successful.

I have no other extension running and no theme installed. The only other plug-ins installed are the standard ones:

Any idea?

mig

Mar 19, 2018, 6:52:41 PM3/19/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Once you have downloaded file "net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3.pkg", you must double-click on it to go through the install. You will then have to click a few ok button and enter your admin password to complete the installation.

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 8:05:25 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
That's exactly what I did (and meant by "install it"). At the end the installer reports that the install was successful, but Firefox still doesn't seem to register that the Companion App has been installed.

mig

Mar 20, 2018, 8:18:41 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Did you click "Recheck companion app" in the settings or reload the settings tab ?

Could you have a look at the companion app directory to see if it is present ? It's in /Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 8:32:02 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I did, but without any changes to the status of the Companion app.

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 8:33:58 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I also checked the /Applications folder for net.downloadhelper.coapp.app. It's there. Get Info says "Version 1.1.3"

mig

Mar 20, 2018, 8:40:54 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Recently, a user reported a similar issue. It turned out he was not using Firefox but an almost-compatible variant of this browser (Comodo Ice Dragon). Could it be your case ?

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 8:45:21 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thanks, but it's definitely Firefox:

mig

Mar 20, 2018, 8:54:47 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Yep, looks like Firefox.

Can you think of some specific security features you could have setup on your Mac, or maybe some Firefox configuration change that could prevent native messaging ?

It's probably worth creating a new Firefox user profile, installing VDH on this profile (and only VDH) and see if it works ? This would help narrowing down the problem.

cyberp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 9:09:56 AM3/20/18
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'll need to check a few things

Robert Simpson

Nov 22, 2019, 3:23:44 PM11/22/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Any solution to this issue? I am seeing exactly the same with Firefox 70.0.1 and Coapp 1.3.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. Every time I try to use the coapp, Firefox tells me to install it. I have done so from within Firefox and directly from the .debs, but FIrefox says it is not installed. When I click on the tab in the add-on settings, it says, 'Checking companion app returned: an unexpected error occurred.' Exactly the same message as cyberp.

jc vdh

Nov 23, 2019, 2:43:12 AM11/23/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
very difficult to say as it is probably a local configuration or user rights problem.

I'm on Ubunutu 18.04 and can't reproduce this problem.

jerome

Arnaud Werquin

Nov 30, 2019, 6:12:08 PM11/30/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have the same issue:
Firefox Browser 70.0.1 (64 bits)
XFCE 4.14
pop-os 5.3.0-22-generic

No changes on the OS or Firefox.

Companion app is installed but cannot be detected by VDH add-on.

Regards.

Robert Simpson

Dec 1, 2019, 4:09:21 AM12/1/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm using youtube-dl, which is very effective, but a fiddle. I'd rather be working in Firefox.

Christopher Rice

Dec 31, 2019, 9:36:58 PM12/31/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm running MX-16 Linux, which runs on Ubuntu. I've also been having trouble. I've got Firefox 70.0, DownloadHelper 7.3.7, and just did a full install of Companion App 1.3.0, yet I'm still getting a message telling me to install the companion app. So, if anybody knows what's going on here, I'd really like some help.

Alicia Jekel

Jan 5, 2020, 12:25:03 PM1/5/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have the same problem. I thought permission issues might be the problem on my work computer, but I have the same problem on my home computer. I have installed all recent Firefox updates and the companion app -- process seemed to go successfully, but I can never get past that. It just keeps prompting me to get the companion app the next time. I previously used Download Helper very happily and successfully for many years and would love to be able to get it working again.
--Alicia

Max

Jan 6, 2020, 1:03:37 PM1/6/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have the same issue of most people as late:
- Firefox Browser 71 (64 bits)
- Ubuntu 18.04
The plug-in worked for years.
Now Firefox is not able to detect the companion app as installed even though is there.
No changes on either OS or Firefox.

MM

Jan 24, 2020, 12:50:13 PM1/24/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Same problem here. Any update?

mig

Jan 24, 2020, 1:14:54 PM1/24/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On Firefox/Linux, you might want to check the companion app manifest file(s) as this is likely the cause of the issue for Firefox not to find the companion app:

Locate file net.downloadhelper.coapp.json in ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts and/or /usr/{lib,lib64,share}/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts and check that the path parameter points to a valid coapp binary.

One common mistake: user installs the coapp as user somewhere in her home directory. A manifest file is created in ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json pointing to this user coapp. Then the user changes her mind, deletes the coapp directory and reinstalls the coapp as system-wide which creates a correct manifest in /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json However, this won't work because the first manifest takes precedence and points to a coapp binary that no longer exists. The solution consists of removing the first manifest file.

Robert Simpson

Jan 25, 2020, 4:19:55 PM1/25/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Bingo! Thanks so much Mig. The manifest pointed to a non-existent folder ~/net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.3.0. The folder existed in /opt, so I copied the entire folder into the home directory and we're flying.

I don't know how that would have arisen, i certainly never deleted this folder myself. Anyway thanks!

Max

Jan 28, 2020, 3:16:22 PM1/28/20
to video-download...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mig.

I verify what you wrote in your proposed solution on two PCs: the configuration of the manifest is identical on the two PCs, both with Ubuntu 18.04 x64.
The manifest is only in  /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts and nothing is in .mozilla/xxxx (on the user folder) (on both PCs).
The bottom line is that in one PC it works perfectly.
In the other one, there no way to make it work.
The system finds the executable in folder /opt/net.downloadhelper.coapp/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-linux-64 but the message says that the system cannot execute it and it declares the app to be as it was "not installed". I cross checked the system permissions for execution but they are OK and moreover they are identical in both PCs.
What's a weird situation. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Ts Garp

Mar 12, 2020, 3:12:13 PM3/12/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have he same problem. I have installed the companion app but VDH -> Setting -> Companion App -> Recheck keeps reporting;
"Checking companion app returned: No such native application net.downloadhelper.coapp".

So I checked for the net.downloadhelper.coapp.json file and it exists only in the /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts folder and not in any other mentioned folder.
The json file shows as:

{
    "name": "net.downloadhelper.coapp",
    "description": "Video DownloadHelper companion app",
    "path": "/opt/net.downloadhelper.coapp/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-linux-64",
    "type": "stdio",
    "allowed_extensions": [
        "weh-nat...@downloadhelper.net",
        "{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}"
    ]
}

So that seems correct as the path is correct. Still it does not detect the coapp.

I also followed Robert Simpson's solution and copied the entire folder in the home directory and in the ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts folder without success.
(I removed both after that)

I have
Elementary OS 5.1.2 Hera Built on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Mozilla v73.0.1 (64-bit)
Video DownloadHelper 7.3.7
net.downloadhelper.coapp v1.4.0

Eveything else on my laptop works excellent and I have no issues.

What can we do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Robert Simpson

Mar 12, 2020, 4:38:31 PM3/12/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Wish I could help, Ts Garp, but I'm no expert. Mig's advice sorted me out. I imagine you have to find the right place for the Coapp stuff, but who knows where. Good luck! Robert.

jc vdh

Mar 13, 2020, 2:22:25 AM3/13/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Rüdiger Becker

Mar 17, 2020, 4:23:23 PM3/17/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Your Firefox is 64Bit. It uses /usr/lib64/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/, but ignores /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/.

The install path for the JSON File is wrong. Copy the file from the ignored to the used folder, then it works.

The Author should fix this bug and issue an update. Thank's in advance...

M F

May 29, 2020, 10:06:17 AM5/29/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Can you please have a look at this thread
I have 2 Mozilla-based browsers but only 1 recognizes the Companion App. Cheers

Mac Guy

Sep 25, 2020, 12:37:48 AM9/25/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have the same issue on catelina with latest version of firefox. Has anyone figured out what's going on on the mac side?

Jeff Deischer

Oct 12, 2020, 6:03:53 PM10/12/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have Ice Dragon 65. I installed it. I didn't do anything fancy like change the location of anything. I don't know about changing directories. What do I do?

Ruediger Port

Oct 17, 2020, 4:41:30 AM10/17/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thanks so much, Mig!  Under Linux,  editing ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json so that the line "path": "..." points to the updated Companion App under /usr/local, rather than to an older version that no longer exists (e.g. 1.5.0 instead of 1.3.0) has solved the problem for me. -- Thanks again!

jiggy jaye

Sep 2, 2021, 12:13:48 PM9/2/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
For the love of GOD, will someone explain where to find these files in ENGLISH? I have searched MULTIPLE threads on this issue, and everyone seems to be 11 chapters ahead of me in class. It took me FOREVER to find out that these are registry keys, but in the first one (messaging hosts) I don't see anything relating to what is being discussed (.json), and I can't find the 2nd one no matter what I do. I just need simple help for someone who's not in the tech dept at work.
All was working fine, but then I changed drives, and I think I had that drive set to install to. all setting in windows point to install to C: now, but I'm thinking this might be why the install fails due to "drive or UNC share does not exist". Can anyone please help me with simple directions?

jcv...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2021, 1:19:58 AM9/3/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
hi,
if you don't want tech details, maybe you can try a program like CCleaner https://www.ccleaner.com/ to get rid of previous VDH install and the reinstall it.
jerome

Raunchy Butts

Sep 9, 2021, 8:58:47 PM9/9/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Still broken on the Mac with Firefox. If the author isn't going to fix this or even respond, he should shitcan the Mac version entirely. I paid for the upgrade.

This is bullshit.

jcv...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2021, 1:29:38 AM9/10/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Sorry for your problem, there must be a solution, it works on Mac. Are you an administrator? Did you try to install with the .pkg package ?
And if you want a refund, just ask.
jerome

Henry Gómez Noguera

Oct 21, 2021, 1:08:34 PM10/21/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
hi to all,

my steps are:
1.- install the plugin into you favorite web browser, in my case firefox
2.- into terminal console run: brew install netdownloadhelpercoapp
3.- ready, now you can download

jrw3...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2022, 11:48:18 AM7/7/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Running latest Firefox on MacOS.  I had to use the brew install method from Henry above (brew install netdownloadhelpercoapp).  I could not find the net.downloadhelper.coapp.json file anywhere to check its path.  I originally used the built-in coapp installer (on the Firefox preferences screen for the Video DownloadHelper extension), but both methods there failed to produce a working coapp after rechecking.

jcv...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2022, 2:38:58 AM7/8/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

jrw3...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2022, 12:51:35 PM7/8/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm sure the json file was installed somewhere, and I've seen it before on Linux, but MacOS has a different system for placing files.  I can find various copies of the json file now, but those may very well be what homebrew installed.  The locations are under /Library and /System/Volumes.

Matthew Dykstra

Aug 20, 2022, 12:48:57 AM8/20/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I posted it before I found this one but... I am having the same issue

macOS 11.6.8
Firefox 103.0.2
Installed net.downloadhelper.coapp 3x and rebooted firefox 3 x
The Extention still does not see the app is installed

How do I fix this?