"Video DownloadHelper Has access to this site", but the icon is not illuminated (active)

Dimitris PAGKARLIOTAS

Mar 5, 2021, 12:12:57 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hello,

I am trying to download videos either in Chrome or Firefox from the following websites using a PC connected to a company's network (work).
While the videos play, the icon shows "Video DownloadHelper Has access to this site", but the icon is not illuminated (active). Clicking on the icon it shows "No media to process in the current tab".

What's the problem?

Please help.
Thank you.

mig

Mar 5, 2021, 12:20:22 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It is not uncommon for VDH to be unable to access a particular site. One of the reasons can be that the site content is protected.

However, i have no idea what "Video DownloadHelper Has access to this site" come from. Would you mind sharing a screenshot ?

Dimitris PAGKARLIOTAS

Mar 5, 2021, 12:58:17 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi Mig,

Please find attached a file with 2 screenshots.

The text "Video DownloadHelper Has access to this site" is displayed once the mouse pointer is placed on the Video DownloadHelper icon.

Unable to download videos via Video DownloadHelper from a PC connected to a company's network - 05-03-2021.pdf

mig

Mar 5, 2021, 1:19:27 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Oh OK, thanks ! This is a message from Chrome. I never noticed it.

Having VDH not detecting videos from a site is unfortunately not uncommon and this is not much we can do here.

Dimitris PAGKARLIOTAS

Mar 5, 2021, 1:30:26 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I think I can download the videos in the above weblinks from my home PC but not from my work PC.
I will try when I get home and I will let you know.

Dimitris PAGKARLIOTAS

Mar 5, 2021, 1:33:12 PM3/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I also cannot download this video: https://www.drkeesha.com/imaskprotocol/

Wild Willy

Mar 6, 2021, 12:27:43 AM3/6/21
to Video Download Helper Google Group
For the Chef video, I had to actually start playback on the video in the web page to get VDH to see
anything to download. Once I did that, VDH offered me a 40-minute video which downloaded fine.
It's in Greek so I didn't actually watch it. I did skim through it & the whole thing appeared to
be there with both video & audio all the way to the end.

For the Tricky Memory thing, VDH offered me something to download as soon as I loaded the page. I
downloaded it & it played the whole 3 minutes & some seconds, video & audio all the way to the end.

For the COVID video, VDH showed no variants right after I loaded the page. But I clicked the
little gear icon in the bottom right corner of the player on the web page to select a resolution.
As soon as I changed the resolution to 1080p, VDH offered me an array of download choices at
various resolutions. I never did click the play button on the web page. I picked the 1920x1080
variant & VDH downloaded it no problem. It's over 2 hours long (plus it didn't look all that
interesting) so I just skimmed through it. Once again, there was video & audio all the way to the
end.

I think the trick here is that you need to click play on the video & then something will show up in
the VDH menu. This is not new behavior in VDH. It has always been something you might have to do
on certain web sites with certain videos. Sometimes, VDH sees variants as soon as you load the
page, like the Tricky Memory thing did here. But other times, you need to hit play on the video &
then VDH will see something. You can hit stop on the video after not even 5 seconds. But you have
to at least start playback before VDH sees anything. A lot of web sites don't send your browser
any information about their content until you start playing it, so VDH is trapped by this web site
design technique. Occasionally, as in the case of your COVID video, just changing the resolution
using the player's settings button makes the site send some information to your browser in
preparation for playback. VDH didn't need me to actually start the video playing. All I did was
change the resolution & that got the site to send information on not only the resolution I had
picked but on other resolutions that were available but that I did not pick.

There's no issue with DRM here. The first 2 videos are hosted on web sites in Greece. I'm in the
US & I got the videos no problem. I don't know where the third web site is. I suppose I am
embarrassed to say it's in the US. It looks like a site that I would normally avoid at all costs.
I have my doubts that any of their content is actually true. I just hope that my visit there & my
download of their one video doesn't get me on some mailing list & I start getting garbage E-mails
from them pushing their holistic health propaganda at me. I'll spam block them & plop their site
into my HOSTS file so fast they won't remember I even exist.

My environment: Windows 7 64-bit, Firefox 86.0 64-bit, licensed VDH 7.4.0a1 beta (same as the
general release 7.5.0), CoApp 1.6.0. I suppose this all means that the problem is with Chrome
because there's no problem getting the videos using Firefox.

Wild Willy

Mar 6, 2021, 12:34:37 AM3/6/21
to Video Download Helper Google Group
** Reply to message from "Wild Willy" <spam protected> on Sat, 6 Mar 2021 00:24:34 -0500

> . . . licensed VDH 7.4.0a1 beta (same as the general release 7.5.0) . . .

Correction: same as the general release 7.4.0.

Dimitris PAGKARLIOTAS

Mar 29, 2021, 8:39:29 AM3/29/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hello Wild Willy,
Thank you very much for the long-detailed reply and for your time.
Please be informed that I can download videos from the websites I mentioned but only from my home computer. Why can't I download them from my work computer which is connected to the company's network and how can I overcome this?

Wild Willy

Mar 30, 2021, 1:10:07 AM3/30/21
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I don't know. Typically, networks in places of business have all sorts of firewall protection. It
would not surprise me if your workplace has blocked such things as TV stations, radio stations,
porn sites, and any number of other categories of web site. Typically, a workplace monitors your
Internet access & if they find you're not using their network strictly for work-related functions,
like visiting web sites of your customers, they can impose all sorts of penalties on you, including
firing you. But these are all guesses. I don't know if any of this is true in your workplace. I
would advise you to be happy that it works at your home & leave it at that.