Announcing Video DownloadHelper v8.2 Beta

Paul

Jan 29, 2024, 11:05:51 PMJan 29
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
We're excited to announce Video DownloadHelper version: v8.2 Beta.

Please share feedback on our new forum.

For now, version 8.2 is only available on the Beta Channel (more info about the beta channel here: https://github.com/aclap-dev/video-downloadhelper/wiki/Beta-versions/).

The Addon Beta is immediately available for Firefox (you can force the update in the Firefox Settings). And is still in the review queue for Chrome and Edge.

## What's new in v8.2

### New forum

Here: https://github.com/aclap-dev/video-downloadhelper/discussions

Until now, we have been using this Google Group as our main way to communicate with our users, and we are now experimenting with Github Discussions & Wiki. We can discuss issues, questions and suggestions there, and find documentation in the wiki. The Google Group is not going away, but we have experienced too many issues with this system and believed it's not future-proof.

Looking forward talking with all of you there :)

### SideDownload becomes the default download method.

Last update introduced the SideDownload method. We are happy to report that this new download mechanism has significantly improved the quality of the downloads. We are now making it the default download method, and simply renamed it "Download".

### New "Download Audio Only" method

A new action is now available to only download the audio track of a video. Pretty amazing to download a Youtube playlist as a collection of MP3 :)

### Better MPD streams support

We have significantly improved MPD downloads (mostly noticeable on Vimeo). This requires a Companion App upgrade, but we will only request upgrade if you attempt to download MPD content (not very common).

### Smarter video stream detection

The stream detection mechanism has been improved. You can tweak its behavior in the settings: `Settings > More > Video Qualities`.

### Updated locales

Special thanks to our contributors! You too can help improve Video DownloadHelper by contributing to our locales on Github or Google Group
https://github.com/aclap-dev/video-downloadhelper/discussions/categories/language-translation

### Road to 8.3

The versions 8.1 and 8.2 are mostly about stability, modernisation of the internals, and introducing the new side download mechanism.

8.3 will focus on the general user experience and the interface. If you have suggestions about how to make Video DownloadHelper better, please post on the Github forum :)

mjs

Jan 30, 2024, 12:02:47 AMJan 30
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Fantastic ! , it works finally on Vimeo video. This has been a long time coming this fix although I didn't really depend on Vimeo.
Many others do however & which they will appreciate this update. So now no one has to refer to the discussion I started back
September 2022.

Paul

Jan 30, 2024, 12:15:59 AMJan 30
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I expected that exact message from you :)

Eric Marceau

Jan 30, 2024, 3:46:59 PMJan 30
to video-download...@googlegroups.com

To the Developers,

### New forum

Here: https://github.com/aclap-dev/video-downloadhelper/discussions

Until now, we have been using this Google Group as our main way to communicate with our users, and we are now experimenting with Github Discussions & Wiki. We can discuss issues, questions and suggestions there, and find documentation in the wiki. The Google Group is not going away, but we have experienced too many issues with this system and believed it's not future-proof.

Looking forward talking with all of you there :)

Will there be any attempt at migrating the old Google forum into an "archive" form under the GitHub structure?  More like an indexed document repository (selectively distilled), and not so much a user-specific posting repository?

Naturally, you would do so only if there is long-term benefit, in retaining a "distillation" of that "harvested" knowledge, as a source repository for the rationale that was used in guiding prior development decisions, which might not be documented elsewhere.  I assume you must abandon the Google Forum completely at some point, on the basis that the "outdated", possibly "misdirecting" information would lead to a waste of limited developer/support resources for obsolete/closed issues.

Thank you for your consideration,

Eric
just a user

jcv...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2024, 2:16:01 AMJan 31
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi Eric,
It is not planned but that's a good question. We take note. Thanks for the feedback.
jerome