Website www.vrt.be/vrtnu/

John Doe

Aug 9, 2022, 10:17:00 AM8/9/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
L.S.,

Using Videodownloader on the website www.vrt.be/vrtnu/(Oublic broadcasting company in Belgium) only shows a lot of small fragments and not the option to select a large fragment that holds the entire video. The website uses the DASH-protocol to stream their videos.

Any suggestions how to circumvent this problem?

Keep up the good work!

Wild Willy

Aug 9, 2022, 2:22:46 PM8/9/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
There appear to be some problems with the URL you provided. First off, there seems to be
a stray ( in your URL. In addition, if the Google Translate of that page is to be
believed, the URL of the web site has changed to vrt.nu. In any case, several attempts
on my part to get into pages on that site seem to be blocked by geographic restrictions.
I'm not in Belgium nor even in the EU. So I will tell you what I was going to try & you
can see if you can get it to work yourself.

Start here:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/BzPLK2YyL-s

You'll probably want to bookmark that for easy reference. I recommend you read that
entire thread, if not now, eventually. As you read through the thread, you will come
across a reference to an alternative technique to try when VDH fails to download
something. You can skip directly to that reference by doing a string search on "cannot
download" in there. That will reposition the web page to the relevant reference. You
will be presented with a link you should click. That will take you to a tutorial on how
to use ffmpeg. Read that entire tutorial. I learned stuff as I went along & the
explanations get better as you read through it. But don't just skip to the bottom. Each
part relies on material I expect you to have read. I'm assuming you determined that your
web site uses DASH because that's what it says in the VDH menu. We have had it from
Michel himself that VDH does not handle DASH web sites particularly well. But ffmpeg
should handle DASH no problem. It handles DASH just the same as HLS. Most of my
examples in the tutorial are taken from sites that use HLS. But if you can find a .mpd
manifest, the instructions work exactly the same with DASH manifests as they do with HLS
manifests.

But I must add a warning. Some web sites make it impossible to read their manifests.
You might encounter a 403 Forbidden access denied error attempting to execute ffprobe
against their manifests. In that case, your only recourse is a screen recorder. That is
suboptimal compared to downloading, but it could be your only option. I have used OBS to
record things but there are other products out there that may suit your needs better. Do
some web searches for those.

Good luck!

mjs

Aug 9, 2022, 11:08:01 PM8/9/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It does appear to restrict what you try to view but I found a short trailer which is viewable.

It looks like the downloading is not possible in vdh but ffmpeg worked as does youtube-dl .