how do I get my downloadhelper icon back on toolbar?

Relax Much

Oct 19, 2017, 11:08:48 PM10/19/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
my downloadhelper icon vanished today and I cant get it back, and now I cant download anything.

stole...@fix.net

Oct 20, 2017, 12:15:06 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Me too. Help.

stole...@fix.net

Oct 20, 2017, 12:33:08 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Everything was working fine yesterday. Today, the icon is gone. Addons says that dh is enabled, but no icon to use. Have donated to dh a few times because I find it so helpful. Please look into this. Thanks, Dwain

northern dude

Oct 20, 2017, 1:34:01 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
same thing happened to me too I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting browser, made sure browser was up to date, rebooting computer, resetting defaults to toolbar nothing worked

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 3:52:33 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
If your icon disappeared from the toolbar, things to do are:
  • check that VDH is installed and enabled from the Firefox add-ons tab
  • check whether VDH is in the menu (the 3 horizontal stripes at the top right). This is where it would go if you right-clicked on the toolbar icon and picked "Move to menu"
  • click "Customize" from the Firefox menu (the 3 horizontal stripes at the top right). If you see the VDH icon in the main panel, drag it back to the toolbar location then click "Exit customize"
  • if none of this worked, you may have fallen in a situation that some users have reported but that we were never able to reproduce. A user found a solution to get the icon back. It is described here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/58FTyU8IAXE/i1z4XMjTFgAJ Basically it says "Uninstall the add-on, restart Firefox, reinstall the add-on".

ScrapPieces2009

Oct 20, 2017, 7:31:32 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I downloaded an older version of downloadhelper and it worked as it used to.

Jean Dupont

Oct 20, 2017, 7:41:46 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Samething here.
I tried what was told about customize menu and all the stuff, with no effect.

My version is 6.3.3 . is there a way to downgrade to the previous version ?

PS working on FF 48 linux

Thx

Jean Dupont

Oct 20, 2017, 7:46:37 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi can u give the link where to download ? Thank you

Jean Dupont

Oct 20, 2017, 7:51:27 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Just downgraded to 6.2 version and works again fine !

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 7:53:03 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Does pressing SHIFT-ALT-D initiates a download ? If so, it means VDH is running and the problem is "only" about the icon disappearing in the toolbar, which is an issue we have heard about without being able to reproduce it.
Another way to see if the add-on is running is to right click in a page an see if there is a "Video DownloadHelper" entry in the menu that opens.

Norbert G.

Oct 20, 2017, 9:35:18 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On youTube shift-alt-D does not initiate a download & the right click menu has no VDH entry.
VDH is listed in about:addons like all other installed addons. The only change in addons was the VDH update yesterday.
The VDH configuration dialog does not appear when I click "configure video downloadHelper" in about:addons.
And, of course, the VDH toolbar icon is missing.

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 9:51:35 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
i've tried every solution here, and nothing worked. Please fix this with another update. I was actually in the middle of downloading a video when the icon just up and disappeared in the middle of it. I've done every suggestion here and they just don't work. I uninstalled restarted and reinstalled...no go. I've tried the tool menu and DVH doesn't even appear there. No amount of right clicking brings it up in any menu on any page. It's still in the add-ons page so I've disabled and reabled. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Unistalled, quit FF ,restarted FF, redownloaded and reinstalled and nothing. The Ant video downloader still works just fine so I'll use it instead. VDH was better though, and would prefer to have it back. This seems like something VDH programmers should be able to fix. You should check with me when you do these updates. If anything is going to go wrong it always goes wrong on mine

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 9:53:10 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Could you do the following:

- click on the 3 stripes Firefox icon at the top right and click "Developers" (if it's not there open Customize to drag the Developers icon to the menu)
- in the Developers sub-menu, pick "Browser Toolbox", accept the debugging session
- in the Developer Tools window that opened, click on "Console" at the top
- make a search ("Filter output" at the top right) for "downloadhelper" and "dwhelper"
- do you see error messages there ?

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 10:03:00 AM10/20/17
to video-download...@googlegroups.com
Also, could you make sure your version of Firefox is >= 51 ?
VDH 6.3.3 won't work with Firefox < 51 but normally the add-on shouldn't have updated in Firefox for old versions.

For information, the current stable release of Firefox is 56.

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 10:04:28 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
No it doesn't even show up. Absolutely nothing happens. VDH is no where to be found except in the add-ons page. No response from any of the actions there

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 10:06:07 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Mine is older than 51. it is 48.0.2 and it still downloaded the updates

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 10:08:50 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Is there some way to undo the last update?

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 10:09:34 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
How did you do that? How do I go backwards one update?

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 10:11:00 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Ok, apparently the embedded declaration in VDH6.3.3 that is was compatible with Firefox 51 to 56 was ignored or overwritten by Mozilla add-ons servers. I updated the compatibility declaratively on their servers. If things work as they should, it should update back to 6.3.1 soon.

aspeye

Oct 20, 2017, 10:14:22 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Basically VDH is installed but it can't be accessed or used in any way at all

mig

Oct 20, 2017, 10:19:38 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
You should prefer forward updating to the latest Firefox than backward updating VDH. There are plenty of security issues that are fixed at every Firefox update, so it's important to stay up-to-date.

If for some good reasons you must keep an old Firefox, you need to install the previous version of VDH 6.3.1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/versions/?page=1#version-6.3.1

SteveinJersey

Oct 20, 2017, 11:34:24 AM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
TO ALL WHO HAVE REVERTED BACK TO A PREVIOUS VERSION of Video Download Helper:
Remember to go into the plug-in's options and turn off updates, or you are going to run into the
same problem again when it updates to the latest version.

mikosaribot

Oct 20, 2017, 6:42:47 PM10/20/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I updated the doenloadhelper and it works fine on Firefox 56 OS X so i am good there. I was wondering if there are issues I need to know about. Thanks and I have sure everyone will get vdh to work for everyone
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

chupo_cro

Nov 9, 2017, 9:00:20 AM11/9/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 4:11:00 PM UTC+2, mig wrote:
Ok, apparently the embedded declaration in VDH6.3.3 that is was compatible with Firefox 51 to 56 was ignored or overwritten by Mozilla add-ons servers. I updated the compatibility declaratively on their servers. If things work as they should, it should update back to 6.3.1 soon.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen. The day Video DownloadHelper updated from 6.3.1 to 6.3.3. it stopped working in FF < 51 but it never updated back to version 6.3.1 There is a message 'Checking for updates' upon clicking the Find Updates option but the version remains 6.3.3

mig

Nov 9, 2017, 9:15:08 AM11/9/17
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

bheh...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2022, 12:42:39 PM12/30/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I followed Michel's instructions and the VDH icon is back on the toolbar, however all videos I download are only 2 KB in length with no audio.
Message has been deleted