Download Part Repair

John Doe

Jan 23, 2019, 2:33:27 PM1/23/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Download Helper in chrome:

Is there a way to recover a file that was partially downloaded (left as a .part file but did not complete)?

jcv...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 2:34:25 AM1/24/19
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi,

sorry no, .part are temporary files to be reprocessed by VDH when all downloads are finished.

jerome

Darryl Perry

Aug 10, 2022, 11:41:07 AM8/10/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
How can a person tell the difference between a part file that has not yet completed, and one that will never complete?

Wild Willy

Aug 10, 2022, 12:39:34 PM8/10/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Check the Resource Monitor on the Network tab.  That's a tool built into Windows.  If you're running some other operating system, I have to believe you have a similar tool that monitors system activity, Internet connection line activity in particular.  When VDH is actively downloading something, you'll see an entry for the CoApp.  If that entry is not there, it means the CoApp is not running.  VDH has abandoned the download, even if the blue dot status menu claims a download is in progress.  If the CoApp is not actively downloading something, as reported in the Resource Monitor, then the blue dot entry is a zombie & will never complete.

Darryl Perry

Aug 10, 2022, 7:58:58 PM8/10/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thanks for the response.
As an aside, I discovered by looking at the FAQ's that the VDH icon was not on my toolbar. I figured out how to make it appear and now I can see the windows that show the download progress. This was not something I knew about before asking about the part files. Now I can see when VDH is actively downloading or not. If it's not actively downloading, then I suppose it would be safe to say that any part files would be orphaned and safe to delete.

Wild Willy

Aug 10, 2022, 8:16:21 PM8/10/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It's good that you can now see the blue dot.  But you can't totally believe that.  This is the point I've been trying to get you to see.  The blue dot status menu can sometimes be wrong.  Sometimes, it says a download is in progress but it's a zombie.  You should always check the Resource Monitor.  The VDH status menu IN CONJUNCTION WITH the Resource Monitor will tell you the whole truth.  Only when you verify via the Resource Monitor that VDH has in fact stopped downloading is it safe to delete any leftover part file.  If BOTH the blue dot status menu AND the Resource Monitor say a download is in progress, then don't touch the part file.

Shaba

Nov 6, 2022, 6:35:09 AM11/6/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I've had success repairing .part files from VDH with one of Wondershare's programs called "Repair It"
It's not perfect, but it gets the job done & is better than nothing - though i am hoping to one day come across a program that does the repairing a little more quickly & effectively. (sometimes the audio will become desynced when using repair it)