Companion App unrecognized Ubuntu 21.10

Rubén Fernández González

Feb 7, 2022, 10:25:51 AM2/7/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi, I upgraded from Ubuntu 21.04 to 21.10 and Companion App it doesn't work anymore.

I reinstalled, the Debian version and the "Other distribution" versions and the extesion is always asking to download the Companion App.

In extension settings Companion App is not detected, even if I click on the "check" button.

Firefox 96.0.3 (64-bit)
Video DownloadHelper 7.6.0
net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.6.3-1_amd64

Rubén Fernández González

Feb 7, 2022, 10:27:32 AM2/7/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Error that I found:  No such native application net.downloadhelper.coapp

mig

Feb 7, 2022, 12:21:37 PM2/7/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I assume you are running Firefox as your browser.

Since the latest Ubuntu release, Firefox is now installed by default using Snap, which installs the browser in its own sandbox, away from where the Companion App is installed. The workaround consists of reinstalling Firefox using the old good "sudo apt install firefox" method. Your companion  app will be visible again.

Rubén Fernández González

Feb 8, 2022, 6:46:03 AM2/8/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
That's it! Fixed!

Thank you Michel!

mig

Apr 26, 2022, 11:25:30 AM4/26/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Regarding the Linux issue where the companion app is not recognized by Firefox when installed using snap (the default on Ubuntu 22.04), one possible workaround is to install Firefox from the .tar.bz2 package from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/.

For instance, to install Firefox 99.0.1 in US English on a 64 bits machine, download the .tar.bz2 from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/99.0.1/linux-x86_64/en-US/ , uncompress it to a permanent place:

You can then launch Firefox from /usr/local/firefox/firefox