Companion app intalled, but Snap installed Firefox cannot link

aYo Binitie II

May 7, 2022, 6:38:52 AMMay 7
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I use Kubuntu 22.04 and Firefox is now installed via Snap, I have installed the Companion app but Firefox does not seem able to communicate with it.

Wild Willy

May 7, 2022, 11:42:18 AMMay 7
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Take a look over here:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/BzPLK2YyL-s

You'll find many links in there that you will probably find useful over time. Specific
to this problem, do a string search on "linux" in there. You will find several hits on
that search key giving several links to further discussions. You should click all those
links & read the discussions. Perhaps one of them will give you the solution to your
problem. Please post in this thread again to tell us how you do.

Kaarle Korstokraateri

May 12, 2022, 12:51:59 PM (12 days ago) May 12
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure that this is an upshoot of the way Snap works: each installed program is run in it's own sandbox, and it only has access to the users home directory - it cannot access the companion app, since that is installed in /opt/. There is no way for any add-on in a Snap-installed Firefox to access this folder.

The only way I can think of how to fix this (besides manually installing Firefox instead of using the snap-package) is to mount the
/opt/net.downloadhelper.coapp -directory in the users home directory, and then somehow hacking the add-on to look for the companion app in that folder instead of /opt/net.downloadhelper.coapp

Wild Willy

May 12, 2022, 11:08:54 PM (12 days ago) May 12
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Let me repeat. Click the link I posted above & do a string search on "linux" in there.
This issue has been addressed here. You need to go find those discussions. Plural.
There are a few such. Do the research. You are not discovering something new.

Kaarle Korstokraateri

May 13, 2022, 10:23:17 AM (11 days ago) May 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Could you please be more specific? Where has it been addressed? The only thing I found was a suggestion to uninstall the snap package and install Firefox from a .deb -package, which is not something I want to do (I want the extra security given by a snap-package).

Wild Willy

May 13, 2022, 9:30:52 PM (11 days ago) May 13
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Sorry, I cannot. If you carefully read the references I pointed out, you would know that
I am not myself a user of Linux. I am almost completely ignorant of the platform. I
only vaguely understand what I have read on here from other users on the subject of
Linux. If you have read the several references I pointed out to you -- you did read them
all, didn't you? -- & you still have questions, you'll have to wait for an actual Linux
user to come in here & answer you. Or perhaps Michel (the VDH developer) can answer you.

jcv...@gmail.com

May 14, 2022, 2:38:14 AM (11 days ago) May 14
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
You can read the end of this post, Mig explained what is happening with Linux : https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/4HWSecImmTE/m/Z-c5JSJiBAAJ
jerome