Tried to install VDH on Firefox, nothing happens

Filipe Gomes

Nov 29, 2023, 9:42:23 PM11/29/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Following the suggestion of a user of this group, I tried to install the latest beta on my firefox, but when I click on the button for the vdh-mozilla-8.1.0.0a8.xpi file, nothing happens. I have tried with other versions and nothing happens.

Some help would be very appreciated.
Thank you

Wild Willy

Nov 29, 2023, 9:57:38 PM11/29/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Now let me get this straight.  You're on this page:

#01.jpg

And just nothing happens?  Not a blink?  Not even an error message?  Nothing hiding underneath another window?  Just nothing?

Ya got me, man.  I've never had that.  What could prevent something like this from executing?  A setting in Firefox that blocks execution of xpi files?  An antivirus?  A firewall?  A proxy?  A VPN?  I'm stumped.

Wild Willy

Nov 29, 2023, 10:48:26 PM11/29/23
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I found this interesting page:

https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/distribute-sideloading/

Maybe one of the things there will work for you. As a prerequisite, you have to go to
the page for VDH betas for Firefox & instead of just clicking the green button, pop up
the context menu on the button & execute Save Link As.

One of the steps there seems couched in somewhat outdated terminology. The page you want
is the one you get when you navigate the Firefox menus: Tools -> Settings, then pick the
Extensions section of Firefox settings. The cog they refer to appears on that page of
Firefox settings.