Look upthread here for a post from fellow user Huan Nguyen. In his post, he gave 2 URLs.
I visited the first one, the one on web site player.vimeo.com
. At first, the VDH menu
was empty. So I clicked the play button in the video & let it play for a few seconds.
That got VDH to populate its menu with a few variants. One was marked DASH streaming -
1920x1080 - 33:16 - 5.9Mbps - MP4. I downloaded that one. VDH had no trouble getting an
MP4. The web site was giving me an average of about 3 million bytes per second download
speed. I didn't measure the time of the download but it was only a few minutes. After
the download completed, VDH spent a few seconds aggregating the video & audio. Because
this was similar to downloading from YouTube, I can't tell what the download time was.
The created & last update time stamps on the file were the same. The file didn't exist
until the aggregation finished. Minor detail.
I looked at the Properties of this file & the video information was ridiculous. I
expected there to be problems playing this file & I was right. The video froze on the
first frame & the audio continued to play without a problem. This is a classic case we
discuss at length over here:
I looked at the Hit Details of the file I had downloaded to determine that the video was
actually 30 frames per second, not the over 15,000 fps quoted in the file Properties. I
then did an ffmpeg respeed operation to repair the video & reset its frame rate to 30
fps. The respeed operation took about 23 minutes. The file that resulted from this
respeeding played perfectly. I didn't sit & watch the video all the way through. I only
sampled the video at intervals. It mostly showed a guy speaking a language I don't
understand. I'm guessing it was Vietnamese. In the middle of the video there was a
short section that appeared to be a NASA clip in English. In any case, it played
perfectly with both video & audio all the way to the end.
The image attached below shows a side by side comparison of the Windows file Properties
of the original file downloaded by VDH & the file generated by the ffmpeg respeed
operation. The attached text file below shows ffprobe reports for the 2 files.
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, Firefox 110.0.1 64-bit, licensed VDH 7.6.5a3 beta (same as
7.6.6), CoApp 1.6.3, VLC 3.0.18 Vetinari.
Just for yucks, I wanted to see if I could get this thing with ffmpeg. The Hit Details
provided by VDH show a URL for the video track & another URL for the audio track. But
when I tried to run ffmpeg supplying it with two -i parameters using those URLs, the web
site threw an error. By the way, you can't use -codec: copy when you have two -i
parameters like this. So I reverted to mining the Network Monitor. I had to use the
gear icon in the video player to set the resolution to 1920x1080. Then I had to
experiment with the MP4 objects that were showing up in the Network Monitor. I did the
open in tab trick on the entries in the Network Monitor to open each track in its own
Firefox tab. Eventually, I got a URL for the video track at 1920x1080 & a URL for the
audio track. It involved removing a string of &range= from the ends of the URLs.
Eventually, I had what I needed to feed to ffmpeg. It gave me the same video as what
came out of the respeed operation. It took about 21 minutes to download. I suspect this
is due to the . . . muxing . . . I think that's the right word. Since I couldn't use
-codec: copy, ffmpeg had to do more processing so things went slower. This time was
comparable to the time for the respeed operation, which does a similar kind of processing.
Interestingly, the separate video & audio tracks were recognized by VDH. I thought I'd
download them with VDH just to see if it would work. Both downloads completed
successfully. The audio download completed in a few seconds & the video took about 2
minutes. I was not convinced the video download would give a usable result because the
original VDH download had given one of those too-fast videos. But the video-only
download was usable. I played these 2 tracks synchronously in VLC & I had the same video
as the one that came out of the respeed operation.
So you have 3 choices with this item:
1. Download it with VDH & respeed it with ffmpeg.
2. Mine the Network Monitor to determine the URLs of the separate video & audio tracks,
then download those with ffmpeg via two -i parameters to give a single output file.
3. Using the same video & audio tracks from alternative 2, download those individually
with VDH & play the 2 files synchronously in VLC. This alternative actually took the
least time of the 3.