Why everything just started been downloaded in MKV format

Simon Dykes

Feb 12, 2024, 2:40:41 AMFeb 12
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
why all my videos now being downloaded in MKV format. Just  started doing it this morning

--
regards

Simon

jcv...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2024, 3:50:58 AMFeb 12
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi,
What are your versions? On what site do you see this?
jerome

Black Beard

Feb 12, 2024, 11:16:54 AMFeb 12
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Same.  I did a dlownload prior to the VDH update to 8.2.0.19 and it was in mp4 format.   The same video after the update is mkv format.  What up?

Richard Remmele

Feb 12, 2024, 4:21:38 PMFeb 12
to Black Beard, Video DownloadHelper Q&A
VideoDownloadHelper seems to handle MKV just fine.  If you are wondering what the difference is:
MKV and MP4 are both commonly used video file formats.  MP4 is short for MPEG-4. MKV is a flexible container that can store multiple video, audio, and subtitle tracks in a single file. MP4 is based on the MPEG-4 standard and supports a more limited set of video and audio codecs than MKV.

However, MKV is known to support lossless video compression, which can result in larger file sizes but better video quality preservation. MP4, on the other hand, is more commonly associated with efficient compression that leads to smaller file sizes, making it more suitable for streaming and sharing on the internet.Jan 14, 2024

Black Beard

Feb 12, 2024, 4:32:19 PMFeb 12
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
jerome,
   version is v8.2.0.19
   the issue is NOT site specific.  Selecting a video to download from ANY site provide only the options to select a mvk format file.

mjs

Feb 13, 2024, 12:05:12 AMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
> the issue is NOT site specific.  Selecting a video to download from ANY site provide only the options to select a mvk format file.

Incorrect, I used version 8.2.0.19 in ungoogled chromium using companion app 2.0.14 on windows 10 on the site rumble.
The video was mp4 and it downloaded as mp4. That's how to post with all the required info.

You guys don't explain any of this, I believe Edge uses the same version number. So you could be using it for either chrome or Edge.
Again none of you properly explain it. There is nothing particularly bad about the mkv format , it works just as well as mp4.
There should not be an issue playing mkv files.

jcv...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2024, 1:49:45 AMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I just tried on Youtube, I get MP4 and MKV, don't you?

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 07.48.14.png

mjs

Feb 13, 2024, 6:45:41 AMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Simon's private message, which I think is relevant to the discussion:

Sorry to disagree but in the Edge version 8.2.0.20 I do not always get the option to download a file as MP4 most imes it only shows mvk option. I have tried on a few sites and although a few show mp4 others are only showing mvk and that only changed since the new version

More clarification is needed with links or screenshots.

Black Beard

Feb 13, 2024, 11:13:16 AMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
mjs,
  You are 100% correct....those of us with this problem need to provide more doc.
    VDH version: 8.2.0.19
    Companion App version: 2.0.17
    Macbook Pro M1
    Chrome
    Site Video URL example: https://fmoviesz.to/tv/muster-dogs-yj2lj/1-1
     Screen Shot attached.

 Unsure why you would assume that all devices would support mvk if mp4 is supported.  My admittedly old tv, which is where I view the downloaded mp4s, doesn't appear to support mvk.
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 11.09.45 AM.png

Black Beard

Feb 13, 2024, 11:19:52 AMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Apologies.....other behavior items.

If one selects "download and convert", the mvk will be downloaded and converted to mp4.  This just seems to be unnecessary and time consuming.

One other very weird thing.  My MacBook Pro M1 hisses thru the speaker when the mvk to mp4 conversion is taking place.  It stops when complete.  I'm seriously considering calling a psychic.

jcv...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2024, 1:33:33 PMFeb 13
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thank you for the feedback, it helped the dev team, this should be fixed soon.
jerome

Black Beard

Feb 14, 2024, 10:44:16 AMFeb 14
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
jerome,
    will you post to this thread when it is fixed?   Not looking to rush you, but I've had the version move from 8.2.0.19 to 8.2.0.23.

     wanted to be sure that you are aware that it is not yet fixed.  :-(

Eric Marceau

Feb 14, 2024, 1:33:44 PMFeb 14
to VDH Q+A [Google]

If I understand the original poster's problem statement, I believe the issue is one of user preference, not one of having the tool impose a choice on the user.  So, I will try to paraphrase:

Will VideoDownloaderHelper now

  1. only offer MKV format for downloads, or
  2. will VDH offer both choices to the user ?

If VDH offers only (1) going forward, that seems to indicate a significant impact on user satisfaction with the plug-in/coapp.

Speaking for myself (Linux-based, so mkv is available and not an issue for me), I prefer only downloading MP4 because I don't want to waste time converting MKV to MP4, which I have to do because of limitations of my multi-media equipment (BluRay/DVD player plugged into to TV) which don't recognize MKV.

I do hope approach (2) above is the stance taken by the VDH Team going forward.

As for the issue reported by the original poster, although I have not paid close attention, I have noticed fewer offers of MP4 format and mostly offers of MKV format.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Eric
just a user

version: 8.1.4.0
beta: false
build date: 2024-01-04
build options: linuxlic: false, noyt: false, browser: firefox
lang: en-CA
license: unneeded
platform: x86-64 linux
UA: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
coapp: yes. Info:
{
  "id": "net.downloadhelper.coapp",
  "name": "VdhCoApp",
  "version": "2.0.10",
  "binary": "/opt/vdhcoapp/vdhcoapp",
  "displayName": "VdhCoApp",
  "description": "Video DownloadHelper companion app",
  "target": {
    "os": "linux",
    "arch": "x86_64",
    "node": "18"
  },
  "home": "/home/ericthered",
  "converterBinary": "/opt/vdhcoapp/ffmpeg",
  "converterBase": "ffmpeg",
  "converterBaseVersion": "6.0"
}

jcv...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2024, 1:50:28 AMFeb 15
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi,
MP4 should be available too. It's supposed to be fixed. What are your versions?
jerome

Black Beard

Feb 15, 2024, 7:58:23 AMFeb 15
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
This morning mp4s are now selectable for me.   My version is 8.2.0.23.    Unsure why ,as Feb 13 1:33pm post indicated, only mvk was provided with same 8.2.0.23.  I have since rebooted.

In any event, mp4 is available.   Many thanks.  Very appreciative.   You have a great product.   I'm a happy premium guy.

Black Beard

Feb 15, 2024, 9:20:31 AMFeb 15
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Jerome,
   Might be the sites issue and not VDH....

   I downloaded Halo S02 E03 this morning.  I selected the 1920 x 1080 from the VDH selection menu.  My macOS GetInfo shows the resulting download as being 1917 x 872.

   Also curious if the VDH conversion parms that I messed with during the mvk issue are utilized when selecting VDH "Download" as opposed to "Download & Convert".  I wouldn't think so, but..

macbook pro M1
Sonoma 14.2.1
Chrome
url https://fmoviesz.to/tv/halo-nk4mm/2-3

version: 8.2.0.23
channel: stable
build date: 2024-02-14
build options: linuxlic: false, noyt: true, browser: chrome
lang: en-US
license: accepted
key (only 16 first characters): 3410b306ac134d7a
platform: arm64 mac
UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

coapp: yes. Info:
{
  "id": "net.downloadhelper.coapp",
  "name": "VdhCoApp",
  "version": "2.0.17",
  "binary": "/Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app/Contents/MacOS/vdhcoapp",

  "displayName": "VdhCoApp",
  "description": "Video DownloadHelper companion app",
  "target": {
    "os": "mac",
    "arch": "arm64",
    "node": "18"
  },
  "home": "/Users/billmcgovern",
  "converterBinary": "/Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app/Contents/MacOS/ffmpeg",
  "converterBase": "ffmpeg",
  "converterBaseVersion": "n6.1-9-g63b936e978"
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 9.13.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 9.10.19 AM.png