Companion app constant Non-existing folder popup message

Steve Ward

Jun 23, 2022, 2:56:20 AM6/23/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
After downloading to folder 'xxx' using the companion app, if the folder name is changed, the next time an attempt to download a video results in a popup message titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'xxx' does not exist, OK to creat it?
I don't want to click 'Yes' in this case but if I click 'No' it quits the download. I can still download the file by closing the message box by clicking the 'X'  or clicking away on the browser but every mouse click when selecting directories or any key presswhen  changing the name of the file before downloading causes the message to popup again requiring me to close it again making this a very frustrating process.

Steps to reproduce the bug, with the VDH extension and the Companion App installed

1 - Create a folder, e.g. c:\TestA using Windows Explorer
2 - In Chrome or FireFox, go to almost any web page with a video.
3 - Click the VDH icon, select a resolution then click download.
4 - In the 'Save file as' tab, select the TestA folder, change the name of the file by prefixing it with '123 - ' and click save. The file downloads and the 'Save file as' tab closes
5 - In Windows Explorer, change the name of the folder from TestA to TestB.
6 - Using the same or another video to download, repeat step 3.  (Note, if VDH says No media to download, click the VDH settings cog, close the settings tab then try again)
7 - In the 'Save file as' tab, a popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
8 -  Close the popup.
9 - Using the dropdown, select the C:\ root folder
10 - A popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
11 -  Close the popup.
12 - Select the renamed folder TestB
13 - A popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
14 -  Close the popup. Swear as appropriate.
15 - Click at the beginning of the file name and enter 1.
16 - A popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
17 -  Close the popup. Swear profusely.
16 - Click after the 1 in the file name and enter a 2.
16 - A popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
17 -  Close the popup. Start yelling at the monitor "Why are you doing this to me" ?
16 - Click after the 2 in the file name and enter a 3.
16 - A popup titled Non-existing folder with the message Folder 'C:\TestA' does not exist, OK to create it? appears.
17 -  Close the popup.
18 - Shake your head and click save. Finish renaming the file after it downloads to avoid any more frustration.
19 - Solution:  Swear you'll never use VDH again and start looking for an alternative video download app.

OS: Windows 10 ver 21H1
Chrome: 102.0.5005.115
VDH Chrome extension ver 7.6.0.0
FireFox: 101.0.1
VDH FireFox addon ver 7.6.0
VdhCoApp ver 1.6.3

Not using popups like this is class 101 when it comes to UX design.

Regards

Steve Ward

Wild Willy

Jun 23, 2022, 3:42:03 AM6/23/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Surely you won't mind if I found your post highly amusing. But since it's not nice to
laugh at the misfortunes of others, I do have a constructive suggestion for perhaps
getting around this. Go into the VDH Settings. On the Behavior tab, there is a field
for Default download directory. To the right, you'll see a button labeled Change. Click
that. Choose the directory you want to do your next download into. Click OK in the file
selection dialog. Then click the Save button at the bottom of the Settings dialog.
Save. Save. Save. It's a step I am prone to forget so I'm repeating it. Click the
Save button.

This non-existent directory thing is something you can also hit in Windows Explorer, the
file manager in the operating system itself. If you've navigated back & forth across a
few directories in a given file manager window & at some point deleted a directory, your
back & forth navigation can stumble across the missing directory. You get a pop up box
from the operating system & there is nothing for it but to go into the left pane (you
might be tempted to call it a pain) and select a new sequence of directories that
actually do exist. It's the only way to make the file manager forget about the directory
that is now gone. I see your issue with VDH as being entirely analogous to this bit of
operating system folly. But don't throw out the baby with the bath water. VDH has far
more about it that is good than is bad.

Maximillium

Jun 23, 2022, 4:11:41 PM6/23/22
to Wild Willy, Video Download Helper Google Group
Steve:
On my version (whatever it is):
I go to the VDH dropdown (the gear)
then, under "Behavior"

"Remember last directory"
put a [Checkmark] here if not there already
"Use last download directory as default location"

Click [SAVE] at bottom-right of page.

Now it'll offer the last-used directory in which to save,
and you will be able to change it in the downloading dialog for each download.

Pretty sure it'll work in your version too....

Wild Willy

Jun 23, 2022, 4:35:55 PM6/23/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
That's all true, Max, but it does not deal with the issue here. The issue here is that
the most recently used directory for a download has acquired a new name. The same
problem happens when that directory is deleted. VDH does not deal particularly well with
the non-existence of the most recently used directory. It assumes that the directory
must be created again before it will proceed. My little dodge of going into the VDH
Settings & manually changing the most recently used directory, also called the Default
download directory, kicks VDH out of its loop. Try exactly what Steve suggested.
Download into a directory, then change the directory name, then try another download.
You'll see what's going on. What you suggest doesn't deal with the issue. My suggestion
does. I've tried it. It works.

It works but it is most assuredly a workaround. It works around a bug. The popup that
VDH pops up should offer a third option besides Create & Cancel. The third option is
Never Mind. Just proceed to the file selection dialog & never mind about the directory
that no longer exists or has a new name, which is pretty much the same thing. There is
most assuredly a bug here. But while we wait for an indeterminate time between a day &
infinity for Michel to fix the bug, there is a reasonably simple workaround that can get
you past the problem. So the bug goes from a critical show-stopper to important but not
a show-stopper.