YT subtitles/closed caption

Ulrik Gron

Nov 6, 2020, 2:30:14 PM11/6/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hello,

Is there now a way to download closed caption with YT video? This was asked in 2017, the reply having been "on the TODO list", but I fail to find sometyhing like that in the settings -but maybe because I'm not looking well.

jcv...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2020, 3:23:32 AM11/7/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
hi,

no sorry this has not been done.

jerome

DaveN

Nov 22, 2022, 5:28:07 PM11/22/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
+1 for including CC Closed captions for YT

mjs

Nov 22, 2022, 11:57:34 PM11/22/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I found how to download the subtitles from a YouTube video. Whether the subtitles work I don't know.
Go to the video and open the developer tools using F12 on the keyboard and click network. Make sure the Network is empty if not there is a trash can button to clear the network. Then click the CC button on the video. You should see a new entry appear :

Screenshot 2022-11-23 150026.png

Open this link in a new tab and a dialog will come up. Name it the same as the video and give it either a .srt or .vtt extension.
I haven't tested if it works so perhaps someone can try it out.

Wild Willy

Nov 23, 2022, 12:21:41 AM11/23/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I messed around with YouTube subtitles/captions a while ago & I was entirely unimpressed.
But maybe it was just the particular videos I happened to choose that day. The subtitles
appeared to be machine generated, which made them both incomplete & woefully inaccurate.
In addition, they were in neither SRT nor VTT format. It was some weird format I'd never
seen before. It wouldn't surprise me if it's some non-standard format that YouTube
invented. I think whatever the format was, VLC played them anyway. I think. It's been
a few months so I don't clearly remember. All I remember is that I tried it & it was
lousy, so I shoved it in my mental recycle bin & I haven't thought about it since. Maybe
captions on some YouTube content are better than on other content. I would not be
surprised if your mileage varied wildly on the subject of YouTube captions.

origami light

Jan 5, 2023, 5:57:16 PMJan 5
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
+1 for YT subtitles support

If its possible it will be good to downloads subs even if it will be separate file.