Video DownloadHelper beta 8.1.0.0a9 and coapp 2.0.9

mig

Dec 4, 2023, 9:07:06 AM12/4/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
We just released a new VDH beta, 8.1.0.0a9

This version fixes recently discovered issues with some YouTube videos, as well as simple downloads from another site.

Those fixes involve a new version of the coapp, 2.0.9, and this will be requested by the add-on.

Hopefully, this version will then upgrade to stable release 8.1.1.0.

John Doe

Dec 4, 2023, 12:10:24 PM12/4/23
to mig, Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hello and thanks!  I got it to work in Firefox - will these work with Chrome as well?

mig

Dec 4, 2023, 12:31:13 PM12/4/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Version 8.1.0.5 for Chrome has the same code level than the 8.1.0.0a9 for Firefox and has just been validated by Google. We are also waiting for Microsoft to review the 8.1.0.5 for Edge. I will publish the Edge link when it's validated.

VDH/Chrome beta can be installed from https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/video-downloadhelper-beta/pfoiagbblcbmognbkekfpodpidedkmcc

Rolf Strömgren

Dec 4, 2023, 12:42:57 PM12/4/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
If it works with FF/yt, then it will probably not work with Chrome/yt. Traditionally, VDH has been in different versions for different browsers (because yt), and I think that that is still valid. If you want a version that works with the other browsers (but not with yt), you'll have to download those, for those browsers.

edino

Dec 4, 2023, 1:23:58 PM12/4/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have updated to the beta.  Works beautIfuilly.

I have a couple things I thought this should be mentioned.

First. I haven''t tested this, so correct me if I'm wrong.  I just visited the Firefox about:addons page.  Since I am not set up for automatic addon updates, it indicated a VDH update was available.  However, the update is the stable version, with the previous problems.  Those who have Firefox set up for automatic updates will be reverted back to the problematic version.

Secondly, I also updated Chrome and Brave to the beta version.  However, after installing the beta, if you visit their extension pages, you will find that the stable version is still listed there, right next to the beta.  I don''t know what the effect this may have on the behavior of VDH, but I uninstalled the stable version on both.

Doug Clark

Dec 4, 2023, 11:57:58 PM12/4/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi, I have been able to download but not install the updated download helper software.  When I get mid-way through the install the install disappears from my screen and is left incompetent.  Previous download helpers were never an issue.  The past two versions failed for me.  I turned off my firewall and anti-virus software as well. Please advise!

Wild Willy

Dec 5, 2023, 2:51:39 AM12/5/23
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Rolf, VDH for Chrome has NEVER downloaded from YouTube. This is a restriction imposed by
Google, that no Chrome extension is permitted to download from YouTube. They must have
their own browser extension that does that & they don't allow competition.

Doug, it would be helpful if you told us a few things about what you are doing. What
operating system are you running? What is the full name of the CoApp file you are
downloading? There's almost 20 different CoApp installation files available for the
various combinations of operating system. If you are seeing an install that appears to
do nothing, my suspicion is that you aren't selecting the one that's appropriate for your
environment. So tell us your environment & tell us the file name of the CoApp that you
have downloaded.

When you respond, post here on the web site. Do not send me (or anybody else) an E-mail.
I don't work for VDH. I'm just another user, like you. I will not pursue problem
resolution via E-mail. So post here on the web site. You do that by clicking the Reply
all button. Do not click the Reply to author button. That just sends an E-mail to one
person. That defeats the purpose of this forum. If you are using some E-mail client to
post here, for example GMail, you must make sure you don't E-mail an echo of your post to
anybody. Make sure your response shows only a single destination: this forum. Remove
all other E-mail addresses from the addressee list.

Also, click the 3 dots before you write your response. You may need to scroll down to
reveal the 3 dots. But click them, then delete everything that gets revealed. Do not
quote previous posts in your post. That is wasteful. The previous posts are right here
on this page. Anybody can read them. It's just wasteful & somewhat rude to quote any
previous part of this discussion within your post. So delete these stealth quotes. When
you post, your comment will not have the 3 dots below it. Look at this post. There are
no 3 dots below it. Make sure your post looks the same.

mig

Dec 5, 2023, 3:51:03 AM12/5/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 7:23:58 PM UTC+1 edino wrote:
First. I haven''t tested this, so correct me if I'm wrong.  I just visited the Firefox about:addons page.  Since I am not set up for automatic addon updates, it indicated a VDH update was available.  However, the update is the stable version, with the previous problems.  Those who have Firefox set up for automatic updates will be reverted back to the problematic version.

On Firefox, the version 8.1.0.0a9 is signed by Mozilla servers in such a way that we (downloadhelper.net) host the version binary as well as the manifest that says what is the last version. This manifest is read every day by Mozilla to know if an update is to be made.
If you switch back to automatic updates, it won't load the stable version but keep the beta one.

Secondly, I also updated Chrome and Brave to the beta version.  However, after installing the beta, if you visit their extension pages, you will find that the stable version is still listed there, right next to the beta.  I don''t know what the effect this may have on the behavior of VDH, but I uninstalled the stable version on both.

Betas for Chrome and Edge are managed differently than Firefox. VDH/Chrome and VDH/Chrome-beta are technically different add-ons as they do not share the same id. This is why they can coexist in your browser profile, and this is also why we modified the VDH-beta icon so they can be told apart in the toolbar.

mig

Dec 5, 2023, 3:52:23 AM12/5/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

[...] This manifest is read every day by Mozilla [...]

by Firefox i mean

Doug Clark

Dec 5, 2023, 10:06:51 PM12/5/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thanks for the advice.  I removed Download extension from Firefox and then reinstalled.  I was prompted to a different version of Download helper and this time it worked.

AG

Dec 6, 2023, 7:08:34 AM12/6/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Still unable to download from Vimeo even while using the new Beta. Same issue persists. No video. Only Audio.

Wild Willy

Dec 6, 2023, 7:54:52 AM12/6/23
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Yes, the problem with Vimeo has been reported countless times, a few of them on this
latest & greatest combination of VDH+CoApp. You have a choice. Either you wait for
Michel/Paul to come out with a version of VDH+CoApp that works on Vimeo, & there's no
telling how long that will take, or you can download Vimeo videos now, using the advice
in this thread that has been around for about a year now:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/sNfTCMYfiTU

AG

Dec 6, 2023, 1:19:52 PM12/6/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I have tried . It does not seem to work.
Youtube-DL + FFMPEG , it always just downloads the 1st free video of the playlist. It is not letting me download any of the videos that i have paid for.

Till about the beginning of this year , there were plenty of workarounds to download from Vimeo. I already have half the videos downloaded from before.
Now it seems Vimeo has plugged those holes and made my life miserable.

I wish there comes a version of VDH soon that solves the Vimeo issue.

Wild Willy

Dec 6, 2023, 8:22:34 PM12/6/23
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Videos you paid for. In that case, this might be relevant. Might. It might work, it
might not. You have to try it to see.

Assuming you figured out from our "too fast" discussion how to locate the HLS master
manifest, then you must use the URL of the HLS master manifest in your invocation of
ffmpeg like this:

https://userid:password@the rest of the URL as you already captured it

If your ID is your E-mail address, then you have to use a little trick like this:

https://ag%40gmail.com:password@the rest of the URL as you already captured it

I'm making up that E-mail address for the purposes of explaining things here. You must
replace all @ signs with %40. That's because the @ sign separates the login information
from the URL. You would confuse things by coding @ in your user ID. Similarly, if your
password contains any @ signs, replace those with %40 as well.

Let's hear from you whether that helps any.

mjs

Dec 7, 2023, 1:53:12 AM12/7/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm not sure that would be necessary to add the email and password to a master manifest. Also I used to use youtube-dl but they don't
maintain and update it anymore. Last update was December 2021. There is a better fork in yt-dlp which is updated and maintained frequently.
Your likely to run into more problems with the original.

edino

Dec 7, 2023, 3:30:20 PM12/7/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Is there a changelog for 8.1.0.0a9 beta?

edino

Dec 7, 2023, 3:34:51 PM12/7/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
" Betas for Chrome and Edge are managed differently than Firefox. VDH/Chrome and VDH/Chrome-beta are technically different add-ons as they do not share the same id. This is why they can coexist in your browser profile, and this is also why we modified the VDH-beta icon so they can be told apart in the toolbar"

Can I assume it's appropriate/advisable to remove the stable version in this case?

edino

Dec 7, 2023, 3:41:13 PM12/7/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
 I found the changelog.

mig

Dec 8, 2023, 11:37:01 AM12/8/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 9:34:51 PM UTC+1 edino wrote:
" Betas for Chrome and Edge are managed differently than Firefox. VDH/Chrome and VDH/Chrome-beta are technically different add-ons as they do not share the same id. This is why they can coexist in your browser profile, and this is also why we modified the VDH-beta icon so they can be told apart in the toolbar"

Can I assume it's appropriate/advisable to remove the stable version in this case?

There shouldn't be any problem running both stable and beta and it allows comparing both versions. But it takes 2 icon spaces in the toolbar.

edino

Dec 8, 2023, 6:46:14 PM12/8/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
So no problem uninstalling coapp 1.6.3, which still exists?

mig

Dec 11, 2023, 5:37:31 AM12/11/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 12:46:14 AM UTC+1 edino wrote:
So no problem uninstalling coapp 1.6.3, which still exists?

No, if your VDH version starts with 8, you can use the coapp 2.0.9 and this is the way to go.

Malcolm Hamilton

Dec 12, 2023, 8:56:26 AM12/12/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Not working for me with:
Firefox 115.5.0esr
VDL 8.1.0.0a9
CoApp 2.0.9
Mac OS 10.14.6

Do I need to upgrade Firefox after upgrading Mac OS?

Thanks

mig

Dec 12, 2023, 9:15:06 AM12/12/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Updating Firefox to the most recent version is always a good idea. There used to be some versions of Firefox, i think including v115, that caused failure to recognize videos from Twitch. Apart from that, it's unlikely to change anything.

However, we will be able to help you more if you give details about what you get. VDH is a big piece of code and "Not working for me" is not enough for us to tell you more.

Message has been deleted

AG

Dec 21, 2023, 7:25:02 AM12/21/23
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Happy to report that yt-dlp solved my problem. Took some time to go read through the instructions and options to get it working properly.  I have already downloaded over 100 videos from the total of 200.
Thank you.