VK.com implementation request

AnonP2X3YZ

Jun 21, 2022, 10:07:30 PM6/21/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi Jerome,

Any chance we can get functionality on VK.com for videos? I've scoured the web, applications, sites, extensions, nothing works to download 1080p videos from this site, with the exception of a single addon on Edge store called "VK Downloader" by DreamDream.

Could we possibly do whatever that add-on is doing but inside VDH. I feel more comfortable using VDH and not some sketchy addon.

VDH currently detects the file size of the videos, but they downloads complete instantaneously and don't actually download anything.

Thanks,
Anon

Wild Willy

Jun 21, 2022, 11:42:45 PM6/21/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
There's reports in this group of vk.com not working going back to 2016. Do a search &
you'll see. However, I believe there may be a couple of evasive maneuvers that might
make things work. Might. Maybe. Have I strongly expressed yet how weakly I believe in
this? So here's my thoughts.

Try turning on the VDH Setting for HLS as M2TS. It is off by default. Don't forget to
click the Save button at the bottom of the VDH Settings dialog. Maybe that will make a
difference. Maybe.

As a separate suggestion, click this link:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/BzPLK2YyL-s

You'll probably want to bookmark that one for easy reference. Then do a string search
for "cannot download" within that thread. That will give you another link you should
click. Maybe there's a way to get your content with ffmpeg. Again, that word maybe. It
is my understanding that vk.com is a pay site so you're going to have to try all these
things yourself. None of us is going to sign up for it just to help you. We're nice but
not that nice.

mjs

Jun 21, 2022, 11:43:30 PM6/21/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Is that just for 1080p, do other video resolutions work. Any example urls you can post here.
--
A vdh user

mjs

Jun 22, 2022, 8:34:20 PM6/22/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
This particular site isn't even reachable, l keep getting server not found. Some of these down detecting sites report that it is up but still not
accessible to me.

Wild Willy

Jun 22, 2022, 9:24:49 PM6/22/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group

Interesting. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I get when I go to the site. I've
scrolled it a bit to get more of the page into view. The truncated bits are not
significant. It's pretty clear from this home page that you can't get in if you're not a
member. Maybe you have to pay. That would be a conclusion I can't reach just by looking
at this page but it might be possible.

Just throwing out some ideas why you might not get access to the site: an ad blocker app,
an entry in your HOSTS file that blocks the site, a blacklisting by your ISP. I'm sure
there's more but none are coming to mind at the moment.

It sure would be nice if the original poster would come back here & continue the
conversation. One thing I'd like to get is a URL inside the site. Maybe non-members can
see such pages. We can't know unless the original poster comes back here.
#01.jpg

mjs

Jun 22, 2022, 10:21:01 PM6/22/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It looks like the ISP dns won't resolve it. I changed to another dns and it comes up. I couldn't find a 1080p video but guess what they
are playing their videos like the other site. The developer tools method is required and editing the url. Example:

Wild Willy

Jun 22, 2022, 11:48:07 PM6/22/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
How did you find that? In any case, yes, the Network Monitor showed no manifests but it
did have one MP4. If you take that URL & chop off the &bytes=numbers section at the end,
you get something that Firefox will display as a playable video, just like that other
example you figured out a few weeks ago. VDH does recognize it & can download it. The
resulting file plays fine in VLC. Strangely, giving that modified URL to ffprobe
generates an error: HTTP error 400 Bad Request. That's a mystery. It's an MP4. Why
can't ffprobe accept the URL? Just another of those mysteries of the universe.

I'm still hoping for our original poster to come back here & say something.

mjs

Jun 26, 2022, 7:11:22 AM6/26/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
You don't have to be a member of the site, I have no account on there. I used the search on the homepage to find something and did some browsing. To the Anon come back give and example if you're still interested to download from there.