Can't use companion app on windows

Ta Mi

Sep 15, 2022, 2:04:40 PM9/15/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hello, i using Download helper on firefox nightly on windows 10 and "Checking companion app returned: An unexpected error occurred" occurs when i try to check for companion app.
i downloaded companion app VdhCoAppSetup-1.6.3 from the link and intalled it many times. however it keeps on telling me that i need to intall the app again and again.
i had no problem using it until  now. help!

Wild Willy

Sep 15, 2022, 10:00:10 PM9/15/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
Somebody else reported a similar problem not too long ago. I'll tell you what I told
that user. You should be expecting problems like this. The nightly builds are
experimental. They are not intended to be finished, reliable products. Mozilla puts out
nightly builds so ubergeeks can beta test the software for them & iron out the bugs
before they do their (approximately) monthly public releases. If it doesn't work on that
nightly, drop back to a nightly you had that did work. Or drop back to the current
public 104.0.2 version. Or wait for another nightly & see if it works. Michel is the
lone developer for VDH. He can't be jumping through hoops to try to fix VDH for every
nightly build that comes out. I don't believe he even tests VDH for every public release
of the browser, including Chrome & Edge as well as Firefox. I suspect he waits for a
chorus of problem reports from us users here in this forum. That would alert him to a
potential problem. So you won't get any sympathy for your problem here. Find a known
configuration that works & stick with that.