Retest of coapp not working / Firefox / MacOs

One User

Mar 25, 2020, 1:56:51 PM3/25/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm running Firefox 74.0 (64bits) under MacOs
I have installed DownloadHelper 7.3.7 under a fresh new profile (but I got the same trouble / error in my normal profile)
I have installed the coapp as root (it is in /Application/....)

sudo cat /Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json
{

"name": "net.downloadhelper.coapp",

"description": "Video DownloadHelper companion app",

"path": "/Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-mac-64",

"type": "stdio",

"allowed_extensions": [

"weh-nat...@downloadhelper.net",

"{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}"

ls
-l /Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-mac-64
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  58968767 Mar 10 17:05 /Applications/net.downloadhelper.coapp.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-mac-64

No error if I start in console the coapp directly
 and find ~ -type d -name net.downloadhelper.coapp.json returns zero results

when I click on the  "re-tester" button in the downloadhelper settings I got the following messages under the browser console

ExtensionError: Attempt to postMessage on disconnected port ExtensionUtils.jsm:56:5
   ExtensionError resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm:56
    send resource://gre/modules/NativeMessaging.jsm:247
    onPortMessage resource://gre/modules/NativeMessaging.jsm:133
    recvPortMessage resource://gre/modules/ExtensionParent.jsm:377
    recvPortMessage self-hosted:878
    _recv resource://gre/modules/ConduitsChild.jsm:78
    receiveMessage resource://gre/modules/ConduitsParent.jsm:283

any clue ?

(basically, the extension catches the video, I can start the download, but then the download does not start, the progression bar stays at 0, whatever the website youtube/dailymotion/etc.. whatever the video on these site)

regards

One User

Mar 25, 2020, 3:19:46 PM3/25/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
If it helps when I reload the extension (via the settings) I got the message

Unix error 13 during operation open on file /Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json (Permission denied) NativeMessaging.jsm:113
   startupPromise resource://gre/modules/NativeMessaging.jsm:113

whereas the right are
sudo ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json
Password:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  staff  359 Mar 25 17:45 /Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json

jc vdh

Mar 26, 2020, 4:33:50 AM3/26/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
hi,

I'll ask the tech team to have a look ;)

jerome

mig

Mar 26, 2020, 5:20:08 AM3/26/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I must say i have no clue here :/

Just to make sure, when you type cat /Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json , is the last non-blank character a } ? I'm asking because in your post, it looks truncated.

To tell apart whether the cause is Firefox or the coapp, can you give a try with Chrome and/or Edge ? You will need to install the VDH flavour corresponding to the browser (https://www.downloadhelper.net/install). The same coapp is required in any case, but for Edge, you need the latest 1.4.0 version (https://www.downloadhelper.net/install-coapp)

One User

Mar 26, 2020, 9:54:11 AM3/26/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
the cat /Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json ends with a } (I did not copy/paste it correctly)

I installed Chrome and VDH and it works (not for youtube, as mentionned in VDH ;))

I suspect that the access right are weird on some of the Firefox directories. I will compare this tonight. Any hint on what to compare?
- the nativemessaginghosts directory
- what else ?

anyhow thanks for the support

mig

Mar 26, 2020, 10:21:34 AM3/26/20
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Thanks. This tells us the coapp itself is OK, so the problem is very certainly the manifest.

As a temporary workaround, you may want to use Edge (Chromium) for Mac, as there is not the Chrome YouTube restriction.

You may want to compare the Chrome and Firefox manifests, content and file permissions, to understand what's going on. On Mac, the Chrome manifest should be located at /Library/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json and for Firefox, as you already found out, at /Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json

You should also check that there isn't a conflicting manifest from a previous user-level install. That manifest would be located at
~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/net.downloadhelper.coapp.json
I see you searched for this manifest using
find ~ -type d -name net.downloadhelper.coapp.json but the option -type d
means you searched for a directory while net.downloadhelper.net.coapp.json is a plain file. Use -type f or simply don't use
the type option.