Support for Firefox for Android Nightly

Quoc D

May 31, 2021, 8:38:39 AM5/31/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
After 69.x and up, they dropped add-on support and only support a few of addons but  Firefox for Android Nightly allows you to add unsupported add-ons from my collections.

But it does not let me install Video DownloadHelper. Can you please make it installable on Nightly? Or at least support the official Firefox mobile? I can't install old Firefox 68 APK on Android 11 anymore

jcv...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2021, 1:05:19 AM6/1/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Thanks for the feedback, I take note for the dev.
Regards,
jerome

mig

Jun 3, 2021, 7:59:34 AM6/3/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Unfortunately, Firefox Android does not implement native messaging (hence cannot access the companion app) nor the needed APIs.  After discussions with the add-ons team at mozilla who also asked us to port the extension, we agreed that VDH won't work on Firefox Android.

awesome14

Jul 5, 2021, 8:05:20 PM7/5/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It might not be easy, but there must be 'some' way to do it. If there is any detailed explanation of the problem porting to android, I'd like to have a read. Might it be possible to make a plugin act as the companion app? Is Android messaging locked down intentionally to make useful functionality impossible to implement?
It sounds like maybe someone is being stonewalled by Google, due to it's efforts to prevent Youtube downloads. So, maybe if that specific functioality is hard-code disabled, just for Youtube, it could be made to work with every other video host.
As it is, the firefox add-on is spectacular! Thanks for producing it!