BBC Radio 2 switches to back-up during Vernon Kay show

Tony Sweeney

Jun 27, 2024, 9:44:13 AM (4 days ago) Jun 27
to vibistro
BBC Radio 2 switches to back-up during Vernon Kay show
by Steve Collins

A technical fault caused Vernon Kay’s BBC Radio 2 show to go off air
this morning, with the station switching to a back-up.
Kay was on a call with a listener during the Ten to the Top quiz when
the station went off for almost 30 seconds and then a back-up of
non-stop music played out.
After around 11 minutes, the station came back and Kay explained to
listeners: “Let me explain what’s happened. Basically, the system needed
a reboot. That’s what happened.
“Everything just crashed, literally crashed. We have a machine where we
play all the music off and that’s gone kaput. That’s got warning signs
flashing in front of me. I don’t know whether it’s overheated or having
a day but it’s gone kaput.”
He also said that they were going to try and play all the music and
jingles planned off a different system, adding: “Now if it doesn’t work,
bear with us, because we’ve got a few people milling around trying to
press alt, J, delete and see what happens!”
When things got back to normal, Vernon joked: “Do you know what it is?
It’s because we’re not at Broadcasting House. It’s like, “Ah, we’ll make
you get there quicker, we’ll just turn everything off” – and that’s what
happened!”
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2024/02/radio-2-switches-to-back-up-during-vernon-kay-show/