Catherine Martin disputes Paschal Donohoe's comments about RTE funding

Tony Sweeney

Jun 27, 2024, 7:31:21 AM (4 days ago) Jun 27
to vibistro
Catherine Martin disputes Paschal Donohoe's comments about RTE funding
Louise Burne

Media Minister Catherine Martin has disputed suggestions from Public
Expenditure Paschal Donohoe that RTÉ would have to compete for money in
the annual budget if direct Exchequer funding is introduced.
As disagreement over the future funding of the State broadcaster
continues, Ms Martin said that she wants “ring-fenced” money set aside
for RTÉ for a five to seven-year period.
She also insisted that a broadcast tax would be “unpalatable” to the
general public.
The Government has committed to making a decision on the future funding
of RTÉ by the time the Dáil rises for the summer on July 11.
There has been disagreement in Government over how it would be funded.
Ms Martin is in favour of Direct Exchequer funding, an idea vehemently
opposed by Tánaiste Micheál Martin, Minister Donohoe and outgoing
Finance Minister Michael McGrath.
Speaking in Tallaght on Wednesday morning, Mr Donohoe continued to push
back against the idea that the State would directly fund RTÉ.
“I believe that the revenue that the television licence brings in is
valuable money that we should not lose,” he said.
“The removal of that revenue stream will have two consequences. Firstly,
it will mean the government will have to find tens of millions of euro
elsewhere.
“Secondly it opens up then the funding of RTÉ to direct government
decisions as part of the budget process and I don't believe that would
be appropriate for a state broadcaster.
He added: “If you have to find [money] elsewhere, it means that that is
money that will not be available to use in the decisions that we’ll make
on social welfare, the decisions that we make on child care, and we
shouldn't let that happen.”
However, speaking just hours later, Minister Martin disputed Minister
Donohoe’s comments and said she is looking for guaranteed funding for
the broadcaster.
“I don't see the argument of how it can compete in an annual budget,”
she said.
“What would be proposed, as the Future of Media Commission recommended,
is that it’d be multi-annual.
“I would see that as being a five to seven-year ring-fenced amount that
would be recommended by an independent regulator, which we have,
Coimisiún na Meán.
“The alternative to direct Exchequer [funding] is that it would be the
Revenue. It would be a type of broadcasting tax. It would take in
500,000 more households.
“I don't see that as palatable as when we look at what the future
funding model would be, it needs to be sustainable, futureproofed, it
needs to be free of interference, but it must have the public acceptance
as well.
“I think all three elements have to be given the full consideration in
this decision that we will reach.”
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/catherine-martin-disputes-paschal-donohoes-33114351