Moonlight and night sky

Sean M

Jan 20, 2023, 3:15:38 PM1/20/23
to VI-Suite
Hi,
I'm fairly knew to  the Vi suite but it seem like a great tool and I'm excited to learn more about it!

I want o use the LiVi context node to set up a sky to model moonlight. Which program in the context node do you think would be best to use?
There are a few places/programs online for to get luminance and sky position data for the moon. My plan is to input into a sun model to the lux, color temperate, and position of moon at the time of year I want to model.

Thank you,
Sean

VI-Suite

Jan 21, 2023, 8:41:22 AM1/21/23
to VI-Suite
The best way I can think of is to use gensky or gendaylit radiance programs to generate a sky description with the altitude and azimuth you want for the "sun". You can then edit this file to mimic the brightness you want for the moon and the night sky. You can load this text file into Blender's text editor and then using the 'Radiance Sky' option in the LiVi Context node select the internal text file. In theory.
I've checked this method and spotted a bug in the 'Radiance Sky' option. I've fixed it but it will be a couple of days before I upload it to git. Until then you can add a Text Edit node in between the LiVi Context node and the LiVi Simulation nodes. This will create a text file in Blender with the name LiVi Context. You can replace the contents with your sky description and then press update in the Text Edit node. Your sky description will then be passed to the LiVi Simulation node.

VI-Suite

Jan 22, 2023, 4:18:36 PM1/22/23
to VI-Suite
Fix for Radiance sky text in the LiVi Context node is now in git master.