Early feedback Annual glare tool

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 4, 2023, 12:08:15 PM12/4/23
to VI-Suite
Evening Ryan.

Much appreciated for implementing annual glare analysis within your Eco system! I am really grateful for this as there are few tools to do properly simulations.

After playing around a bit, I would like to present a question.

As anual glare probability is heavily based on which direction you look at, it will be natural to want to present the results visually such as the image below. However, to manually add in a compas arrow as the image under suggest, will require a bit of manual touch, and for every bit of manual edit there will be someone who mess up the compas direction for the view. Would it therefor be possible to see later in your result code a small arrow, which shows the view direction of the GA%? It would benefit the data presentation to ensure one is fully understanding as to where the view is, that gives these values.

|med pil.jpg

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 5, 2023, 3:36:16 AM12/5/23
to VI-Suite
I have done more testing, and now i would like to raise a question.

File:
https://we.tl/t-2XN3sK7CHq

I ran a room on the ground floor with 8 different views. Regardless, it is always as high results as the image underneath suggest. For me something feels off with the results, as i expect for this case that the backwall should not have any results. Have i missunderstood something here?

Bilde glare resultat.jpg

With shadings from neighbors buildings, as shown under with irradiance test, i still find the room to have to high results.

bilde glare.jpg

VI-Suite

Dec 6, 2023, 8:33:10 AM12/6/23
to VI-Suite
I've thought about the representation of view direction. Rather than put something in the 3D view I will probably put a compass signifier or azimuth number in the legend somewhere as that is a little more robust from a code perspective.
Soon, I hope, I will at least add azimuth angles to the vi-suite-log text file so that results can be debugged a little easier.
I tested your model. I'm no expert in annual glare simulations but the results look reasonable to me. Little or no glare when looking at the back of the room. The azimuth setting sets the angle of the first view (0 is North). Each subsequent view is 360deg/no of views clockwise rotated from that. So you have 0, 45, 90 azimuth etc. Positive global Y in Blender is always due North.
By the way, I'm writing a lecture on BREEAM and can find no reference to glare autonomy in the UK documentation, but I think I recall you said it is in there? Does it appear in the Norwegian version?

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 6, 2023, 9:28:37 AM12/6/23
to VI-Suite
A compass will for sure help a lot!

May i also ask if perhaps all the reason changes you have comited be highlighted more with a numbering version for your master. AS there has been many changes were the masterz zip has the same 0.7 name for it, it might not always be intuitive which version of VI-Suite is installed. Perhaps a 0.7.0.x numbering will ensure we follow which version of your plugin we have?

With regards to your test of the file i did sent. As i am used to the result and how to read it, is that when 100 % is achieved, it should be that the area has archived 100 % over the target value of ex. 40 % disaffection from glare. Or would i be in the wrong to read the value as such? If i follow opposite 100 % means it has not achieved any value above the target value.

With regards to your question of BREEAM. As i am comparing UK with our NOR variant i found under the UK chapter HEA01:

---------------- Start
The potential for glare has been designed out of all relevant building areas using a glare control strategy, either through building form and layout or building design measures (see compliance note CN3.1).
The glare control strategy avoids increasing lighting energy consumption by ensuring that:

3.a
The glare control system is designed to maximise daylight levels under all conditions while avoiding disabling glare in the workplace or other sensitive areas. The system should not inhibit daylight from entering the space under cloudy conditions, or when sunlight is not on the façade

AND

3.b
The use or location of shading does not conflict with the operation of lighting control systems.
----------------- End

Furthermore under the CN3.1 description i found this:

----------------- Start

Compliant forms of glare control - curtains as glare control

Compliant shading measures for meeting glare control criteria include: Building integrated measures (e.g. low eaves)
Occupant controlled devices such as blinds (where transmittance value is less than 0.1 (10%)
Bioclimatic design External shading or brise soleil.

Glare control must provide shading from both high level summer and low level winter sun where relevant to the country of assessment (for example, latitudes of 40 degrees or more). Where using fixed systems, design studies can be used to demonstrate that sunlight is prevented from reaching building occupants during occupied hours.

Curtains (where used without other forms of shading) do not meet the criteria for the glare control criteria, as they do not provide sufficient control to optimise daylight into the space. Furthermore, the use of curtains to control glare is likely to cause occupants to rely more on artificial lighting.----
----------------- End

For me when i read this, it gives me not much to work with. So i understand why you in UK can not with ease find a threshold value to lecture your class about. Lucky in our NOR manual it is a bit beter described threshold values under our HEA01 chapter:

------------- Start
5. The project assesses the likelihood of glare from daylight (see Definitions) in accordance with NS-EN 17037:2018 -A1:2021
Daylight in buildings for the building (see Method and Definitions).
6. The project has drawn up and implemented a strategy for mixture control (see Definitions) for relevant areas
of the building and where the probability of DGP (Daylight Glare Probability - see Definitions) exceeds 0.4 in
more than 5% of the annual service life (see Definitions).).
7. The chosen strategy for glare control is optimized so that daylight can enter when it is cloudy or when
the sun does not shine on the facade. The strategy will help to reduce the unnecessary use of artificial energy
lighting. The location and design of the solutions chosen must not conflict with
lighting control systems.
------------- End

As you can read, in norway we have a bit more desciption in our BREEAM manual. We can either run a simulation or we can use NS-EN 17037:2018 -A1:2021 Daylight in buildings for the building. The latter one is a manual simplified check which i do not like. It is easy to missunderstand, and thus this is why i am so keen on your tool, to bypass the entire manual work.

Furthermore, the simplified manual check can be found in table E.2-E.6 in NS-EN 17037:2018, and also tabell E.7-E.8. To put it simply, these are the parameters which needs to be accounted for to find some screen classification to ensure glare is accounted for:

dw – distance to daylight opening from workplace.
LTv – Light transmission on window
VDp – Viewing direction parallel to facade
VDf – Viewing direction towards facade

I am happy to have general talk over teams if it would help you. I am always at your service.

Ryan Southall

Dec 6, 2023, 9:49:14 AM12/6/23
to Ole Marius Svendsen, VI-Suite
There will no doubt be a numbering scheme one day, but version 0.7, although usable, has not been released yet and what you are getting is very much simply my ongoing development snapshot. I just create branches when the Blender API changes and the latest VI-Suite stops working on a previous Blender version. The best I can offer is that I will try an keep my github commit logs in some way informative.
The numbers you are getting are freedom from glare or Glare Autonomy. 100 means a view does not go over the DGP threshold for 100% of the time. If standards refer to an occurrence of glare, rather than autonomy from glare, I may change it to occurrence.
Thanks for the extensive BREEAM response. I wonder if you have a numerical limit on glare and we don't as your sun is generally lower in the sky.

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 6, 2023, 10:08:41 AM12/6/23
to VI-Suite
Appreciated, if i am overstepping your hospitality let me know. I find it hard to balance being enthusiastic and to demanding in my feedbacks.

I see. in other words, as it stands now i need to think opposite as i must ensure the value does not reach above 95 % (as we have dgp_40% = 5 % of the annual user profile). To have the option of occurrence would help a lot as we dont need to explain to our stakeholders the standards says x though we simulate the inverse number. If it is an easy fix, i would be grateful!

Our sun Hight might be spot on as to why we have a numerical value. In summer, at least in Oslo, we have solar Hight equal to 52 degree midsummer and as low as 7 degree winter (if we at all can see the sun at this time). Though glare can also come from high reflective surfaces which only can be detected by simulations. Good local example is clarion the hub in Oslo with a golden metal plates shining to bright onto everything, and also our white opera house which is painful to walk by on ground floor.

Ryan Southall

Dec 6, 2023, 10:32:49 AM12/6/23
to Ole Marius Svendsen, VI-Suite
I'm sure you meant to say it, but according to your metric, for clarity, you want your values to be at or above 95%.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VI-Suite" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vi-suite/4bb7b41a-9080-48c9-bb39-072178bb9281n%40googlegroups.com.

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 13, 2023, 4:55:19 AM12/13/23
to VI-Suite
Good morning Ryan.

I noticed you added a occurrence metric since last time we spoke. Same with azimuth logger. As i am testing with the new master zip i would like to ask again for some assistance.

The new GO (%) for my test with 4 view ports yields all the same results as shown in the image underneath for all 4 views. Can this be due to the "GA View" is only linked to the GA(%), and when changing the result type it does not automatically change what it is ment to showcase for GO (%)?

When looking for the azimuth logger, neither the VSC output file, nor the graphic VI Display as shown underneath seem to have the information this information. With our last conversation with the compass, have i interpreted that this is a "still to come feature"?

bilde.jpg

VI-Suite

Dec 13, 2023, 11:01:23 AM12/13/23
to VI-Suite
Just realised I answered you personally, so just for public consumption this is fixed in master and the view azimuths are written out to vi-suite-log file.
Ryan

Ole Marius Svendsen

Dec 14, 2023, 2:59:06 AM12/14/23
to VI-Suite
Morning Ryan, hope your day has started well. I would publicly like to give you some credit for giving good advices and also are quick to patch up any bug we find.

As I am now playing more around with the glare study, I am also now using the sun path diagram to ensure I have the correct orientation of my building, and thus rotated it to fit in with the azimuth diagram. When activating the sun path diagram in VI Display to inspect, it seems i lost my glare results. As of now it seem i have to rerun glare to get my VI Display to show glare, same with Sun Path, if i have activated the glare, i have to rerun the sun path.

Would it be a way to store both result and just click which result you would like to show in the VI Display? If this is a limitation and it sounds reasonable to want to go in between glare and sun path without loosing the result. Would it also be beneficial to store any of the Livi result as long as you made separate trees with the Parametrics you would want to showcase?

VI-Suite

Dec 14, 2023, 5:42:03 AM12/14/23
to VI-Suite
I appreciate that kind of thing can be useful but I made the decision a long time ago to separate out result displays, so that I don't have more than one display operator running at the same time to keep things simple. That doesn't mean you can't cheat a little bit though. Generally if you move a results object out of the LiVi Results collection while displaying it, it won't get deleted when you activate another analysis. In your specific case, when you run the sun path display you can tick the box next the to the LiVi Results collection in the outliner and the glare results plane can be seen. You will lose the legend display, but you can sreen grab that, crop, and display either within the viewport or with an image editor window.
In Blender most things are possible.
Ryan