Is there a way to simulate Fog

Sean M

Feb 22, 2023, 4:40:56 AM2/22/23
to VI-Suite
Hi,

Is there a way to simulate fog?

I am working on setting up a glare analysis with a foggy/smog variation. (From a quick search it seems most photometric light software's don't do environmental fog, anyone know a reason why or about another software that does?) In Blender with some IES light sources inside a cube I tried using blenders volume scatter and using a large a semi translucent VI-suite material but they don't appear to affect some tests scenes I viewed in a preview LiVi sim.

Thank you,
Sean

Lars O. Grobe

Feb 22, 2023, 5:20:45 AM2/22/23
to vi-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

fog is challenging to simulate, in particular if you do not only want to account for attenuation of direct light and want to get quantitatively meaningful results.

Radiance, which forms the basis of the light simulation in the vi-suite, provides the "mist" participating media model. The book "Rendering with Radiance" provides the details of the implementation, but a brief explanation of its parameters can be found in an archived mail by Carsten Bauer: https://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2005-July/002827.html

As far as I know, mist is not implemented in the vi-suite though. So if you know the parameters and need it in your model, you would probably have to add the scene description to the exported Radiance model.

Best, Lars.

VI-Suite

Feb 22, 2023, 7:38:48 AM2/22/23
to VI-Suite
Hi Sean.
Lars is correct and the VI-Suite does not expose UI options for Radiance's mist. You can use the Text Edit node connected to the LiVi Geometry node to edit or export the Radiance scene description, and add the mist media manually.
Ryan

Sean M

Feb 24, 2023, 4:34:46 AM2/24/23
to VI-Suite
Thank you. I'm still new to this, do any of the tutorial videos demonstrate the text edit node being used?

Sean M

Feb 24, 2023, 4:34:52 AM2/24/23
to VI-Suite
Thank you.