IES Strength

Sean M

Feb 24, 2023, 4:34:56 AM2/24/23
to VI-Suite
Hi,

When using an IES file the IES I cannot change the "IES Strength:"  in the  VI-Suite Object Definition menu. I am using Vi v6 in blender 2.83.9. Is it supposed to be fixed at 1.0 once an ies file is loaded?  What are the unit of that IES Strength is it a ratio of the output in the ies file?

Also another question, when an ies files is loaded is it at it's max real brightness by default?
If there is an 200W LED and the manufacture says it can output 8000 lm will the ies strength is at 1 do that? or should I be doing some math and looking at the luminous flux/efficacy/idk... to get what the light will actually look like at full power then adjust the strength. Not sure if my question makes any sense, but I apricate any help.

Thank you

VI-Suite

Feb 24, 2023, 6:52:21 AM2/24/23
to VI-Suite
The strength parameter is a multiplier that implements the ies2rad m factor and effectively acts like a dimmer switch. 1 means the full strength. I limit it to no more than 1 as I didn't consider overdriving artificial lights to be realistic.