Some of the competition

herb

Apr 8, 2010, 1:10:23 PM4/8/10
to Ventura Gigabit Internet Group
I had a look at some of the 1100 cities competing for Google Fiber. I
thought it might be useful to see what some of the others were doing.

Sign examples:
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=158184
http://www.disinfo.com/tag/google/
http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/25/what-lengths-will-cities-go-to-be-googles-broadband-guinea-pig/

One of the things that impressed me was Baltimore's presentation
addressing the question: What could we do to change the world if we
had Google Fiber? http://www.bmorefiber.com/google/

Maybe we don't have Johns Hopkins, but we do have VivoMetrics &
InTouch Health. Their video at http://www.youtube.com/user/venturafiber#p/a/u/0/ph2862MjWf4
is, I think a great start.
Can we save lives at Community Memorial Hospital?
Could we enable video production facilities to rival New Zealand?
Can we enable other home-grown broadband intensive businesses?
Maybe we should emphasize how it would benefit the citizens of
Ventura, rather than how we can change the world. What local problems
would be solved? Again, I think that there are some hints in the
InTouch video.

Anthony Andre

Apr 8, 2010, 1:13:15 PM4/8/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com