Local Search Engine

herb

Apr 3, 2010, 2:18:48 PM4/3/10
to Ventura Gigabit Internet Group
Rao has suggested that we put up a local search engine to highlight
some of the local capabilities. OrcaTec, a local company in Ventura
and Ojai, is willing to provide the technology. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Herb

N. R. Machiraju

Apr 3, 2010, 6:29:35 PM4/3/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Herb.

I envision the following benefits:
- a way to stand apart from all the six hundred other cities that are competing
for google fiber to the point that these cities may come to venturafiber.com to
search and know the latest and greatest on what is going on with the 600
cities. i. e. more focused searches than they would get if they went to google!
- a way to get the attention of google that we are doing more than publicity
and that we have tech savvy stuff happening in our city. What better way
to get attention from a search engine company than to put up a focused
search that shows a dimension that google perhaps might be interested in
themselves.
- a model by which we high light local companies on a monthly basis so that
we can show that at the end of the year we have something significant to
show
- track the usage statistics and publicize to get some leverage
- get some National press attention that "we think different" and high light
this and pitch stories.

N. Rao Machiraju
http://www.reqall.com/
Phone: 1 408 538-0413

Anthony Andre

Apr 4, 2010, 2:39:14 AM4/4/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
That would be cool.

kd kelly

Apr 5, 2010, 2:10:14 PM4/5/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Is this technology something that directly competes with Google, or does it
leverage the Google API in some way (I didn't see anything about using
Google on their site). I wonder if that would be an issue to Google if we
were celebrating a competing technology?