Lots of Competition

1 view

Anthony Andre

Mar 28, 2010, 1:52:31 PM3/28/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-27/google-says-600-communities-seek-broadband-project-update2-.html

We need to keep the noise level high.  I don’t think lobbying is going to do it.  I am willing to be that the story would be much bigger for us being that we have no money to lobby them with and everything is all a civic effort with all dollars invested contributed by the people that care the most…The Ventura City community!

I know it is hard work and takes a lot of time that we all have little of because of other current events in our lives, but if we want this bad enough for our city, then we can find the time to keep the noise up.  Thank you all for your collaboration on this!

Thank you,

Anthony Andre

Ventura Highspeed Internet/MiTec Solutions

2110 E. Thompson Blvd.

Ventura, CA 93001

805-643-4375

Ant...@venturahighspeed.com

Daniel Richman

Mar 29, 2010, 7:43:24 PM3/29/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Anthony, I am sure everyone agrees with you. What is your opinion of the best way to "keep the noise up."?

Daniel Richman

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to vgig+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
Daniel Richman
www.RichmanandRichman.com

Anthony Andre

Mar 29, 2010, 8:35:54 PM3/29/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com

I think it would be good for all of us to continue meeting once a week to strum up new ideas to keep the publicity spotlight on us.  For Earth Day this year, we will be holding our annual Earth Day E-Waste Recycling Event which is free to the public to bring in and dispose of all e-waste we collect for free. We are partnered up with a local CA company that takes it all, breaks down the chemical components and disposes of the remaining waste according to e-waste standards for the state of California.  I think this would be a good time to announce what Google’s initiatives are to everyone that comes into our office to get rid of waste.  We are also trying to get a radio show booked on Coach Ron’s 1400AM KKZ broadcast.  We are hoping to secure that by Friday evening around 5-5:30 hoping to get those AM’ listeners attention out there as well and for free publicity of Ventura City’s initiatives and what VHSI intends to do if Google does choose our city.

I was also hoping that anyone who has good public spotlight ideas can bring something to the table and we can all collaborate as we have been on this to get more in the spotlight of a city that wants it bad enough and won’t give up until it is brought here.

-Anthony

Daniel Richman

Mar 30, 2010, 12:55:58 AM3/30/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the meeting once a week, but that would be a cool idea in general. I truly believe that something like tinychat.com or some other chat/video site would benefit us greatly.

Cole, Rick

Mar 30, 2010, 11:05:54 AM3/30/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
It's valuable to nurture this new network, whether we go on to the semi-finals or regroup and promote other alternatives for jump-starting Ventura's tech revolution.

Rick Cole
City Manager
City of Ventura
805 654-7740
Blog: www.cityofventura.net/cmblog/

Shen Liu

Apr 1, 2010, 4:26:01 AM4/1/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Now that Google is Topeka (effective midnight), a viable alternative could be the free broadband wireless service from Google, I meant Topeka, - http://www.google.com/tisp/.
s-)
805 567-4656 (GoogleVoice)
http://google.com/profiles/shenliu.liu
http://twitter.com/shenliu
http://www.facebook.com/shenliu.liu

Shen Liu

Apr 1, 2010, 5:39:51 AM4/1/10
to vg...@googlegroups.com
On the serious note, here's a good read: http://www.digitalcommunitiesblogs.com/CCIO/.  Seems Seattle is on a sustainable path.  Google will only speed things up for them if they get the RFP.  Not sure if the following are worth pursuing/promoting:
  1. City's fiber I-Net?  A institutional fiber network infrastructure from the past 9 years.  It's "our own" fiber.
  2. Wireless community mesh using smart routers such as meraki cloud?
Just a couple thoughts.
s-)
ps.  If you are in the spirit for the order of the day, give your co-worker a sticky or while-you-are-out note that reads: "Mr. Lyon called. (805) 963-5695".