CY2023 Finalized

Nick Cannon

Sep 8, 2022, 12:10:21 AM9/8/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
VFX Reference Platform CY2023 has just been finalized, full details at https://vfxplatform.com.

Confirmation of versions for OpenEXR, OpenVDB, OpenColorIO, and ACES will follow by early November pending the timely release of new versions.

After much debate between Python 3.10 and 3.11, the lack of a clear timetable for PySide2 / Qt For Python in LGPL-licensed Qt 5.15 that supports 3.11 was a major factor in deciding to stick with Python 3.10.x for CY2023.

Please note again the change to glibc may require a major Linux distro upgrade, and the recent recommendation for studios to migrate to RHEL, Rocky Linux, or AlmaLinux. Also that CY2023 finally sees the move to the "new" libstdc++ ABI which is now the default on all modern Linux distributions.

In the event there are any late requests for changes to CY2023 then we will bring them to this group for feedback and only adopt them if there are no strong objections.

As always, thank you for the great input, feedback, and support this year.

Nick

Nick Cannon

Nov 1, 2022, 1:42:32 AM11/1/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
Congratulations and thank you to the OpenColorIO, OpenVDB, and OpenSubdiv teams for releasing major new versions before the agreed-upon extended deadline of October 31st.

CY2023 has now had the late changes applied and no further changes are planned or expected. As always, the latest Platform details are available on https://vfxplatform.com.

Nick

Neal Gompa

Nov 2, 2022, 10:40:13 AM11/2/22
to Nick Cannon, vfx-platform-discuss
On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 1:42 AM Nick Cannon <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Congratulations and thank you to the OpenColorIO, OpenVDB, and OpenSubdiv teams for releasing major new versions before the agreed-upon extended deadline of October 31st.
>
> CY2023 has now had the late changes applied and no further changes are planned or expected. As always, the latest Platform details are available on https://vfxplatform.com.

Yay! Now the real work begins! :)

Cary Phillips

Nov 17, 2022, 4:26:59 PM11/17/22
to Neal Gompa, Nick Cannon, vfx-platform-discuss
Late to the party here, but to confirm the obvious, the Reference Platform CY2023 will remain on OpenEXR v3.1.

We had originally planned a v3.2 release for the fall that would expose the multithreaded I/O functionality from the new OpenEXRCOre library into the existing C++ API, but that work has been delayed.

Hopefully, we'll make the v3.2 release early next year. We also plan to establish a mechanism to make further improvements without affecting the ABI.  More on that later.

Thanks,
- Cary