Ports

Julian Mann

Aug 12, 2022, 2:42:15 PM8/12/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
Hello all.

Just wondering if it's worth vfxplatform maintaining a list of ports commonly used in VFX tools, similar to the Py3 compatibility tracker. Recently, customers had a few conflicts because we use 8085 for auth server stuff and it turns out Bebop also use 8085. It's happened before with HQueue. Feel free to scream, "that's a stupid idea, Julian, get back to work'

Deke Kincaid

Aug 12, 2022, 3:07:50 PM8/12/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
I wouldn't call this a bad idea but more of something that the software companies should just simply document and many already do.

It is a bit out of scope for VFX Platform though.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 11:42 AM 'Julian Mann' via vfx-platform-discuss <vfx-platfo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello all.

Just wondering if it's worth vfxplatform maintaining a list of ports commonly used in VFX tools, similar to the Py3 compatibility tracker. Recently, customers had a few conflicts because we use 8085 for auth server stuff and it turns out Bebop also use 8085. It's happened before with HQueue. Feel free to scream, "that's a stupid idea, Julian, get back to work'

Michael Oliver

Aug 14, 2022, 6:36:12 PM8/14/22
to Deke Kincaid, vfx-platform-discuss
port numbers can be registered through iana/ietf as per rfc6335.  8085 is currently unassigned.  It would be nice if isvs went through the process of registering user ports to at least give visibility to other vendors but at the end of the day these things aren't enforced and usually you can modify the default port things run on (or segregate/containerize your apps so you don't have port conflicts).  Agreed this does not fall on the vfx platform.

Ethan Estrada

Aug 15, 2022, 3:16:31 PM8/15/22
to Julian Mann, vfx-platform-discuss
There is already a Wikipedia page documenting official and unofficial port number usage. It would probably just be better to trying to add VFX applications to it whenever possible and then use it as a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers#Registered_ports