Python 2 vs Python 3

attila.szabo

Nov 12, 2019, 3:20:30 PM11/12/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Hi everyone,

We are working on adding support for Python 3 in 3ds Max, and I have a few questions regarding this.
1. What content creation apps will ship in CY2020 with Python 3 support.
2. If your app supports Python 2 (2.7) right now, do you plan to keep that alongside supporting Python 3, or altogether replace Python 2 with Python 3?
3. If you plan on supporting in your app both Python 2 and 3 for a period of time, which one will be the default in your CY2020 version of the app. Why?

I thank you and appreciate your thoughts on this.
Attila Szabo

Mik Wells

Nov 13, 2019, 4:23:27 AM11/13/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Mocha Pro 2020 is going to support Python 3, and only Python 3.

Only the standalone product supports Python at this time. There is no fixed date for adding Python support to the Mocha Pro plugin.

Regards,

Mikki

Alan Fregtman

Nov 18, 2019, 11:26:51 AM11/18/19
to attila.szabo, vfx-platform-discuss
> 1. What content creation apps will ship in CY2020 with Python 3 support.

Of the big ones, Houdini announced preliminary Python 3 support with their upcoming version 18 that's supposed to come out this year.

(AFAIK, the actual first DCC to officially have Python 3 is... Blender. :p Kudos to their team.)

Paul Miller

Nov 18, 2019, 11:42:43 AM11/18/19
to vfx-platfo...@googlegroups.com
I'm targeting CY2020 support, including Python 3, for Silhouette 2020.5,
which will release Q2 next year.

I don't plan on offering both 2.7 and 3 at that point.