The great big VFX software dependency matrix

Larry Gritz

Oct 13, 2022, 12:16:11 PM10/13/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
People here may be interested in this. I hope it will be an important crowdsourced resource for all of us.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EwRlz5ZYObEOdBfIk8iTX5thlpTyEAfp3bxOgAfFOiU/edit?usp=sharing

Project maintainers are encouraged to fill in the missing pieces. Would be great to have the major DCC products and studios also fill in their sections.

Most of the rows (projects/products/studios) and columns (dependencies) were just what came to mind as I was throwing this together, but it's meant to be a living document, so either add or suggest any additional rows or columns or other data that make it a more complete picture of the interdependencies of our ecosystem.

--
Larry Gritz
l...@larrygritz.com

Bob Davis

Oct 13, 2022, 12:22:48 PM10/13/22
to Larry Gritz, vfx-platform-discuss
Oh wow, Larry - That's amazing.

I'd like to get some feedback from some of the engineering teams here at Red Hat about this all. This is both feedback for us on where we may be too slow or fast (we're both, weirdly) or where there may be some red flags for the community.

Bob

Bob Davis
Principal Product Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Larry Gritz

Oct 13, 2022, 12:25:57 PM10/13/22
to Bob Davis, vfx-platform-discuss
Feel free to add rows for important linux distros and fill in their nominal set of package versions!
Understanding how we do or do not align with what the distros are doing is an important piece of the puzzle.

Deke Kincaid

Oct 13, 2022, 3:38:42 PM10/13/22
to Larry Gritz, Bob Davis, vfx-platform-discuss
Any reason not to include RHEL 7 in there? According to the survey 60-70% of us are on Cent7?

Mike Rochefort

Oct 13, 2022, 3:40:06 PM10/13/22
to Deke Kincaid, Larry Gritz, Bob Davis, vfx-platform-discuss
Planning on filling out that data in a bit, ran out of time earlier.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mike Rochefort, RHCE
Solution Architect

Mike Rochefort

Oct 13, 2022, 4:15:20 PM10/13/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
I think I've got all the relevant EL7, EL8, and EL9 info in there. Let me know if you spot anything out of place.

Cheers,
Mike

Edward Lam

Oct 13, 2022, 10:42:25 PM10/13/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Larry Gritz wrote:
People here may be interested in this. I hope it will be an important crowdsourced resource for all of us.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EwRlz5ZYObEOdBfIk8iTX5thlpTyEAfp3bxOgAfFOiU/edit?usp=sharing

Project maintainers are encouraged to fill in the missing pieces. Would be great to have the major DCC products and studios also fill in their sections.

Was it intentional to not add _all_ the VFX Platform package list as columns? I had added MKL before I noticed that there were also other VFX Platform packages that were not on the columns.

Cheers,
-Edward

Larry Gritz

Oct 17, 2022, 2:32:56 PM10/17/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
The spreadsheet has really shaped up over the last few days, thanks to everybody for the help. Take a look if you haven't visited lately -- it's really shaping up to be an interesting resource!

Unfortunately, we've had the first incident of an anonymous editor deleting something (maybe inadvertently?), so I've changed permissions so that the link allows you to view and comment, but not to edit. If you are a package maintainer or representative from one of the products or companies who can help fill in the info and keep it up to date, just DM me with your email and I'll grant you write permission.