Python 2 support for a new project

Tom Cowland

Dec 16, 2021, 4:45:34 AM12/16/21
to vfx-platform-discuss
Hey folks,

Off the back of the Python 3 readiness thread, I had a question for you all.

Is Python 2 support still required for new project?

We are currently in the nascent stages of a new open source API (https://github.com/TheFoundryVisionmongers/OpenAssetIO). We'd dearly love to say that this is Python 3 only. However, we have had word from some studios that their pipeline code will still be in Python 2 for quite some time yet.

The API will be available from C++ and Python. What would the reaction from this group be to solely targeting Python 3.7/CY21? In how many cases would this rule out its use in your organisations pipeline/products?

Many thanks in advance,
Tom