Does vfxplatform take a position on 32 bit builds?

Nick Porcino

Mar 17, 2020, 1:07:43 PM3/17/20
to vfx-platform-discuss
Does vfxplatform take a position on 32 bit builds? On the OTIO project we are discussing whether we should be building 32 bit wheels for the community, and one thought was to follow the lead of the vfxplatform, if a precedent or decision exists on that topic. We do have a specific distribution for ARM that needs to be 32 bit, but we're wondering about Intel in particular.

Does anyone have advice?

Nick Cannon

Mar 20, 2020, 2:13:08 AM3/20/20
to Nick Porcino, vfx-platform-discuss
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM Nick Porcino <nick.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does vfxplatform take a position on 32 bit builds? On the OTIO project we are discussing whether we should be building 32 bit wheels for the community, and one thought was to follow the lead of the vfxplatform, if a precedent or decision exists on that topic. We do have a specific distribution for ARM that needs to be 32 bit, but we're wondering about Intel in particular.

The VFX Ref Platform does not take any particular position on 32-bit builds at this time. If anyone thinks it should then we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Nick

olivier...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2020, 12:18:13 PM3/20/20
to vfx-platform-discuss
Le mardi 17 mars 2020 13:07:43 UTC-4, Nick Porcino a écrit :
On the OTIO project we are discussing whether we should be building 32 bit wheels for the community,

While I can't speak for everyone, my observation has been that vfx jumped onto 64-bit fairly early in the game because of the size of the datasets involved. Exactly 14 years ago in our case. The DCC apps I know no longer provide 32-bit support and have not for a while.

Olivier

Nick Porcino

Mar 20, 2020, 6:17:28 PM3/20/20
to nick....@gmail.com, vfx-platform-discuss
I'm going to officially wish that 64 bit is expected and 32 bit is not-expected-but-allowable, because it will ease decision making where support determinations must be conservative, and where it is impossible to precisely determine who might still be on 32 bits.

- another Nick ;)
--
Quantum streamed from my biotic redirect located in sunny Utopia Planitia. Visit Mars today!

Larry Gritz

Mar 20, 2020, 6:45:05 PM3/20/20
to Nick Porcino, nick....@gmail.com, vfx-platform-discuss
It has never been the case that something not on the list is "disallowed."

It just says which library versions to use if you want to minimize potential compatibility problems with the major DCC apps each year.
--
Larry Gritz

Nick Porcino

Mar 21, 2020, 1:39:31 AM3/21/20
to Larry Gritz, nick....@gmail.com, vfx-platform-discuss
Yes. Previously we've determined that the vfxplatform only covers versioning where different versions significantly impact the ability of the components of a pipeline to play well together; by that criteria 32 vs 64 bit builds don't need to be called out. vfx-platform does have the word platform in it though, so I think it never hurts to ask or examine what we might like to take a position on. I'm going to recommend that OTIO doesn't take on 32 bit python wheel builds, as that choice is not in contradiction to the vfx-platform spec.