Removal of Devtoolset-6 from CentOS 7.7

Michael Rochefort

Sep 17, 2019, 12:38:15 PM9/17/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
As was mentioned on the CentOS forums a while back, there has been a trimming of 'out-of-support' phase packages for the release of CentOS 7.7. For those using the distribution for their build systems, you will need to point a repo towards the previous version, 7.6.1810 (maybe through vault) to retrieve the packages through yum, or download the toolset packages from the following link:

If you upgrade to CentOS 7.7, you will not see devtoolset-6 as available, only devtoolset-7/8.

Cheers,
Mike

Aloys Baillet

Sep 18, 2019, 7:11:55 AM9/18/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks Michael,

That was quick, the ASWF docker images just started failing to build as they are based on nvidia cudagl images that depend on "centos:7".
Should we recommend sticking to CentOS-7.6 or to somehow install devtoolset-6 on CentOS-7.7, and if the later then is there an easy way to do so?

Cheers,

Aloys

Aloys Baillet

Sep 18, 2019, 9:24:37 AM9/18/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
After some trial and error I have this method to install devtoolset-6 on CentOS-7.7:
Add a repo file:
/etc/yum.repos.d/devtoolset.repo

[centos-sclo-rh]
name=CentOS-7 - SCLo rh
enabled=1

then
yum install devtoolset-6-toolchain
works...
But I'm expecting that the mirror data will probably disappear soon and we'll have to switch to the vault (which doesn't have 7.6.1810 packages yet).

Cheers,

Aloys

jose...@wwfx.co.uk

Sep 18, 2019, 10:09:10 AM9/18/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
We've also ran into these issues with our USD Docker images too.

In our case, we used a sed command to patch the existing .repo files:

FROM centos:7

RUN yum -y install centos-release-scl

# Fix as devtoolset-6 not in CentOS 7.7 mirrors
RUN sed -i 's/7/7.6.1810/g; s/^#.*baseurl/baseurl/; /mirrorlist/d' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-SCLo-*.repo

RUN yum install -y devtoolset-6

See also this CentOS forum topic about missing devtoolkit-6

Michael Rochefort

Sep 18, 2019, 1:44:35 PM9/18/19
to josephyu, vfx-platform-discuss
I should have clarified this in my original post (completely forgot the way the repo files were set up). All instances of CentOS will lose access to the packages
by default as the repos only ever point to /7/. And the CentOS-SCLo-*.repo packages don't have vault variants.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago with the python36 packages in EPEL for a day or two (I may or may not have pushed that snowball down the hill)
when they were removed and all python3 CI systems started failing over the weekend.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 06:56:00 -0700 <jose...@wwfx.co.uk> wrote ----
> We've also ran into these issues with our USD Docker images too.
> In our case, we used a sed command to patch the existing .repo files:
> FROM centos:7
>
> RUN yum -y install centos-release-scl
> # Fix as devtoolset-6 not in CentOS 7.7 mirrorsRUN sed -i 's/7/7.6.1810/g; s/^#.*baseurl/baseurl/; /mirrorlist/d' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-SCLo-*.repo
>
> RUN yum install -y devtoolset-6
> See also this CentOS forum topic about missing devtoolkit-6
>

> On Wednesday, 18 September 2019 14:24:37 UTC+1, Aloys Baillet wrote:After some trial and error I have this method to install devtoolset-6 on CentOS-7.7:Add a repo file:/etc/yum.repos.d/devtoolset.repo
>
> [centos-sclo-rh]name=CentOS-7 - SCLo rhbaseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos-7/7.6.1810/sclo/$basearch/rh/enabled=1
> thenyum install devtoolset-6-toolchain
> works...But I'm expecting that the mirror data will probably disappear soon and we'll have to switch to the vault (which doesn't have 7.6.1810 packages yet).
> Cheers,
> Aloys

Aloys Baillet

Sep 18, 2019, 6:01:10 PM9/18/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks Jose,

That's even easier to patch indeed.
I'm also a bit bothered that we are going to have to use a deprecated build toolchain for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to try and update to devtoolset-7 and see what breaks in our ASWF test suite and report back here ( https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/aswf-docker ).
Would updating the devtoolset still be on the cards for VFX-2020?

Cheers,

Aloys

Wayne Arnold

Sep 18, 2019, 6:17:54 PM9/18/19
to Aloys Baillet, vfx-platform-discuss

A question then comes up is what is the time frame that devtoolset-7 will be deprecated.

Does devtoolset-8.1 provide a longer runway of usage.

We have done a little bit of testing of gcc 8 but hasn’t been our focus

--

Wayne

Michael Rochefort

Sep 18, 2019, 6:47:15 PM9/18/19
to Wayne Arnold, Aloys Baillet, vfx-platform-discuss
According to Red Hat, DTS 7 expires next month (Oct 2019) and DTS 8 will follow in Nov 2020.

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl

A question to ask would be to see how often the CentOS team is going to remain on top of culling the out of support packages.
If the build system used RHEL (UBI) and had access to a host subscription, you will always have access to everything created. Red Hat
doesn't cull its repositories the way the CentOS team does per version. Everything released during a product cycle (even if unmaintained)
remains available.

For example, if you load up a RHEL 7 system with SCL access and search for *gcc, you'll get devtoolset-[3-8]-gcc.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 15:17:51 -0700 Wayne Arnold <Wayne....@autodesk.com> wrote ----

> A question then comes up is what is the time frame that devtoolset-7 will be deprecated.
> Does devtoolset-8.1 provide a longer runway of usage.
>
> We have done a little bit of testing of gcc 8 but hasn’t been our focus
>
> --
> Wayne
>
> From: <vfx-platfo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Aloys Baillet <aloys....@gmail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 6:01 PM
> To: vfx-platform-discuss <vfx-platfo...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [vfx-platform-discuss] Re: Removal of Devtoolset-6 from CentOS 7.7
>
> Thanks Jose,
>
> That's even easier to patch indeed.
> I'm also a bit bothered that we are going to have to use a deprecated build toolchain for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to try and update to devtoolset-7 and see what breaks in our ASWF test suite and report back here ( https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/aswf-docker ).
> Would updating the devtoolset still be on the cards for VFX-2020?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aloys

Michael Rochefort

Sep 18, 2019, 7:27:42 PM9/18/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
If you're looking for the most long term solution, DTS 9 will be dropping soon, either with RHEL 8.1 (it's in the beta) in October or separately in November, with two years of support. However, and this is a decision
for next year's platform discussion, waiting for DTS 10 (which will drop post-Siggraph) may hold the best long-term availability yet. GCC 10.1 will likely air in May/April with DTS 10 shipping 10.2 in Oct/Nov 2020.
That'll provide two years of platform use (2021 and 2022) during the supported phase. The downside is without being included in a beta by/working with Red Hat pre-Siggraph, we'll never know what issues may arise
with compilation. At the end of the day, something similar to what happened with devtoolset-4 and the switch to devtoolset-6 could be used to switch to DTS 9 (assuming that works).

It's a bit too early to say anything now, but should the platform decide to continue to use RHEL packages as a base for development and wants to align with support cycles it's something to think about.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Rochefort

Sep 20, 2019, 11:44:52 AM9/20/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Should be the last reminder/notice on this:

To those who have adjusted your repos to point to the previous mirror, you will have one more adjustment to make coming up. When a new CentOS
version is released, the prior point release is left up for a temporary time before being archived. 7.6.1810 is currently in the process of being archived and
will soon be unavailable from the original mirror. The new home of the DTS will be here:

http://vault.centos.org/7.6.1810/sclo/x86_64/rh/devtoolset-6/

Cheers,
Mike

Joseph Yu

Sep 20, 2019, 2:22:04 PM9/20/19
to Michael Rochefort, vfx-platform-discuss
Here's the updated version of the sed/Dockerfile I posted earlier to point to vault: http://vault.centos.org/7.6.1810/sclo/x86_64/rh/devtoolset-6/

FROM centos:7
RUN yum -y install centos-release-scl

# Fix as devtoolset-6 not in CentOS 7.7 mirrors
RUN sed -i 's/7/7.6.1810/g; s|^#\s*\(baseurl=http://\)mirror|\1vault|g; /mirrorlist/d' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-SCLo-*.repo

RUN yum install -y devtoolset-6

Joseph Yu · Pipeline TD · +44 (0)7925535159

2nd Floor, People's Mission Hall,
20-30 Whitechapel Road,
London
E1 1EW

Jean-Francois Panisset

Sep 21, 2019, 3:25:31 AM9/21/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
An alternative to modifying the yum config files directly could also be:

yum -y install centos-release-scl-rh
yum -y install yum-utils
yum-config-manager --setopt=centos-sclo-rh.baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/centos/7.6.1810/sclo/\$basearch/rh/ --save
yum -y install devtoolset-6

(tried this on a fresh CentOS 7.7 VM, seemed to work).

I'm probably missing something obvious, but how are you getting a CentOS 7.7 container? As far as I can tell "FROM centos:7" still still getting 7.6, the 7.7. official Docker base image isn't released yet?

JF

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vfx-platform-discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vfx-platform-discuss/CAGUOQW8Fbewq5Yy2m_H%2BopMWmaq9M57DBR6v%2BfgZL%2Bw42M5oRQ%40mail.gmail.com.

jose...@wwfx.co.uk

Sep 23, 2019, 7:09:02 AM9/23/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
@JF That method looks much neater and explicit. I'm currently working on another solution which I'll probably take a page from your approach.

You're right, I'm actually still getting the CentOS 7.6 container for now from FROM centos:7 .

But since the baseurl/mirrorlist always pull from the latest CentOS 7 release (yum's $relesever = 7), 7.6 and earlier releases that yum -y install centos-release-scl-2-3.el7.centos.noarch will also resolve to http://<mirrorhost>/centos/7.7.1908/sclo/, even if they're not running CentOS 7.7.1908.

Joseph Yu · Pipeline TD · +44 (0)7925535159

2nd Floor, People's Mission Hall,
20-30 Whitechapel Road,
London
E1 1EW

jose...@wwfx.co.uk

Sep 23, 2019, 7:45:37 AM9/23/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
Looks like CentOS put those old packages back into official, latest mirrors again at 2019-09-22 01:38

Michael Rochefort

Sep 23, 2019, 4:49:28 PM9/23/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
I asked on the #centos-devel IRC channel, there was a tooling issue and the re-emergence of those packages was unintentional. The packages will be removed again.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 04:45:36 -0700 <jose...@wwfx.co.uk> wrote ----

Fabien Castan

May 10, 2020, 2:40:19 PM5/10/20
to vfx-platform-discuss
Hi,
VFX platform recommends to use devtoolset-6 on centos-7 for CY2020, CY2019, CY2018.
It would be worth mentioning on the website that devtoolset-6 is no more available on centos-7 since October 2019.
Best,
Fabien

fa...@mikrosimage.eu

May 17, 2020, 6:57:24 PM5/17/20
to vfx-platform-discuss
Hi,
VFX platform recommends to use centos-7 and devtoolset-6 for CY2020, CY2019, CY2018.
As devtoolset-6 is no more available, it would be worth mentioning it on the main page!
Best,
Fabien