CY2025 Draft Published

Nick Cannon

May 14, 2024, 9:16:01 PMMay 14
to vfx-platform-discuss
The Draft CY2025 VFX Reference Platform has been published at https://vfxplatform.com.

The major focus for next year is the move to oneAPI for TBB and MKL, and the move to ACES 2.0. We expect a USD release supporting oneTBB to be available by our usual cut-off of September 1st.

Python and most of the industry-specific open source packages are getting bumped to the newest version the DCC vendors expect to be able to support.

No CY2025 version changes are planned for gcc, C++ standard, or Qt due to the significant additional engineering effort required on top of the other changes.

Speaking of USD, we believe that the best choice for the community is to allow USD to iterate quickly rather than add it to the Platform which could impede adoption and advancement. I'll start a separate thread to discuss the topic of USD and its potential future inclusion in the VFX Reference Platform.

To provide feedback on this Draft Platform, reply to this thread or respond privately to the Working Group by emailing feedback at vfxplatform.com.

As usual, we are looking to lock down the Final version at the start of September. Like last year, we will provide additional forums to discuss and provide feedback by hosting a public user group meeting via Zoom in July as well as an in-person Birds of a Feather event at SIGGRAPH.

Nick
on behalf of the VFX Reference Platform Working Group