RHEL 9 Beta is out

瀏覽次數:162 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Bob Davis

未讀,
2021年11月3日 中午12:54:302021/11/3
收件者:vfx-platform-discuss
RHEL 9 Beta is out if anyone wants to look at it.
It's available for anyone with a valid RHEL subscription, including the Developer subs, with no extra steps.

If you have a subscription, you can download it from the portal (make sure you've got the variant set to "beta").

For Developer subscriptions, you can use the Developer download page here:

Some good information is here:

Feel free to ask me any questions or let me know if you have any problems getting it.

Bob

--

Bob Davis
Principal Product Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Pipeline TD

未讀,
2021年11月4日 清晨7:08:292021/11/4
收件者:vfx-platform-discuss
Congrats to the Beta release. Just out of curiosity because I didn't see anything new since Siggraph. Did any talk happen with vendors regarding Linux support?

Bob Davis

未讀,
2021年11月4日 上午9:28:352021/11/4
收件者:Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks!

When you ask, "Did any talk happen with vendors regarding Linux support?", do you mean have we talked to any of the software vendors in the VFX space about support for RHEL 9?

I have, but I think it'd be better to let anyone who wants to share here do that, since I don't want to talk out of school.

Some of the critical things for software vendors to know about RHEL 9 are:
Key RHEL 9 components:
  • Kernel:  5.14
  • Glibc 2.34
  • System Compiler: GCC 11.2
  • System Python is 3.9
  • LLVM Compiler: Rolling stream with LLVM 12 in beta, and 13 in GA
  • Rust Compiler: Rolling stream with 1.52 in beta and 1.57 in GA
  • Go Compiler: Rolling stream with 1.16 in beta, and 1.17 in GA
  • Base JDK is Java 11, Java 17 optional
  • Podman 4.X
  • Gnome 40 user desktop with kiosk mode (single app)
  • Improved Flatpak environment
  • Wayland is the default, with X server available for those who need it.
I'll have to check if that glibc version is the system glibc or what's built into the GCC toolset - but I think it's the system version, which means it's got a support life cycle that matches RHEL itself (10 years).

I'm in the process of checking the existing VFX reference platform components against the versions we're shipping in RHEL 9, and I'll share that out too (if it's interesting to y'all).

Bob

Larry Gritz

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午1:10:162021/11/4
收件者:Bob Davis、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Is there a page with a list of all package versions?

Bob Davis

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午1:28:312021/11/4
收件者:Larry Gritz、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:10 PM Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote:
Is there a page with a list of all package versions?

I don't think there is, Larry - but there's this:

If you mouse over "Download Latest" for the specific package you're interested in, it'll show you what version it is in the link address. Maybe not the best for what you want, but I will put together a list of "Here's what packages are covered in the VFX Reference Platform and here's what's in RHEL 9" if that's helpful.

Bob

Bob Davis

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午1:55:402021/11/4
收件者:Larry Gritz、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Let me know if this is what you are looking for, Larry (and everyone):

CY2022 DRAFTRHEL 9 Beta
GCC9.3.111.2
glibc2.172.34
Python3.9.x3.9
Qt5.15.x5.15
PyQt5.155.15
Qt for Python (PySide)5.15N/A
NumPy1.20.x1.20.1
OpenEXR3.1.x3.1.1
Ptex2.4.xN/A
OpenSubdiv3.4.xN/A
OpenVDB9.xN/A
Alembic1.8.xN/A
FBX2020.xN/A
OpenColorIO2.1.xN/A
ACES1.3N/A
Boost1.761.75
Intel TBB2020 Update 32020.3
Intel MKL2020
C++ API/SDKC++17

This is all information available to anyone with any valid subscription, even a $0 developer subscription, but I thought I'd put it together in a way that is more familiar.

If something is marked "N/A", it probably means it isn't something we ship - but maybe it's in EPEL.
I've looked to see if anything I couldn't find in RHEL 9 was deleted from prior versions - and I've seen a couple things that were in RHEL 7 that got removed when we shipped RHEL 8, but no major departures from RHEL 8.

Note that Wayland is used by default and X is available but deprecated. What this will probably mean is that X won't ship in future versions of RHEL (which also means that we need to spend serious effort and time on making Wayland "ready for prime time". X isn't sustainable any more, so we (meaning the larger Linux community) may need to agree to "burn the boats" and move forward with making Wayland everything it needs to be.

Note that I'm not personally in touch with every team here that delivers every package - but I can be if you have a specific question.

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Thanks -

Bob

Larry Gritz

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午3:08:532021/11/4
收件者:Bob Davis、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks, I'll check out the link you sent.

Just FYI, VFX Platform isn't really the full picture for us. VP is merely a list of certain packages that have caused us a certain kind of versionitis in the historical past. But they are only a fraction of the ecosystem of software we care about (and, even for VFX Platform packages themselves, there's also the issue of the choice of versions of *their* dependencies, which VP is silent on but still matters).

Bob Davis

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午3:17:092021/11/4
收件者:Larry Gritz、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks for the feedback, Larry.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

Larry Gritz

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午3:17:592021/11/4
收件者:Bob Davis、Pipeline TD、vfx-platform-discuss
Wow, there are a lot of steps and a lot of personal information needed just to set up an "account" merely to learn which packages are in the product they want me to buy. I admit that I gave up before I finished the process.

On Nov 4, 2021, at 10:28 AM, Bob Davis <bod...@redhat.com> wrote:

--
Larry Gritz

Michael Rochefort

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午3:47:272021/11/4
收件者:vfx-platform-discuss
I recommend using the Developers registration...

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 15:17:53 -0400 Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote ----

Larry Gritz

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午3:54:062021/11/4
收件者:Michael Rochefort、vfx-platform-discuss
Aha, ok, thanks. I got much farther this time. Even after "registering," it was really hard to figure out how to get to that package list without a "subscription", but I finally stumbled across the right combination.

Michael Rochefort

未讀,
2021年11月4日 下午4:10:212021/11/4
收件者:vfx-platform-discuss
---- On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 15:54:01 -0400 Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote ----
> Aha, ok, thanks. I got much farther this time. Even after "registering," it was
> really hard to figure out how to get to that package list without a "subscription",
> but I finally stumbled across the right combination.

In signing up for the Developer account, you should have been granted the Developer
Subscription for Individuals, so you do have a valid subscription.

Yeah, the timing of some backend things might be off, but it should effectively be
as simple as:

1) Register from the Developers site
2) Go to https://access.redhat.com/ and sign in (if not already)
3) Click Downloads in the top nav bar
4) Select "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8"
5) Set the Variant to "Red Hat Enterprise Linux for <arch> Beta"
- It should default to 9.0 Beta as the version

Once RHEL 9.0 is GA, the documentation site should include a package manifest
for everything available in the core distribution.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux

Cheers,
Mike
回覆所有人