OpenEXR 3.1 & CY2022

Cary Phillips

Jul 31, 2021, 12:08:54 PM7/31/21
to vfx-platform-discuss
We've released OpenEXR v3.1, and we'd very much like to see this included in next year's VFX reference platform.

This represents the first substantial new functionality added to OpenEXR in many years, in the form of significantly optimized, thread-safe file I/O. The v3.1 release introduces this as an additional "OpenEXRCore" library (written in C for greater portability), which for now leaves the existing functionality unchanged, so the there should be low risk to applications using the 3.0 (or previous) interface.

Come hear the author, Kimball Thurston, discuss it at the ASWF Open Source Day next week.

Thanks,
- Cary

Francois Chardavoine

Jul 31, 2021, 12:19:06 PM7/31/21
to Cary Phillips, vfx-platform-discuss
Excellent to see v3.1 released, and perfect timing for final additions to the platform! This feels like a logical version to add, but does anyone on the list have any concerns?

Francois.